Bar Harbor is a picturesque destination located on Mount Desert Island in Maine. It is a hub for outdoor activities, offering stunning scenic views, hiking trails, and water activities. The town is also rich in history with its Victorian-era architecture and fascinating museums. If you are planning to visit Bar Harbor and looking for some exciting things to do, then you are in the right place. In this post, we will be sharing a roundup of the best attractions and activities in Bar Harbor that you do not want to miss. So, let’s dive in and explore the beauty of Bar Harbor together.
The 2 Best Things to Do with Kids in Bar Harbor
The 2 Best Things to Do with Kids in Bar Harbor
1. Maine Bar Harbor Culinary Walking Tour With Tastings
Immerse yourself in the culinary scene of Bar Harbor during this 3-hour guided walking tour. Explore the sites of the waterfront and learn about the local history from your professional guide. Sample an array of local flavors at various stops along the tour, getting to know the history behind each establishment and what goes into making their specialties. The tour includes samples from multiple local eateries and all local taxes and fees. Face masks are also provided for your safety. Please note this tour is not suitable for people with mobility impairments. Come along and savor the best of Bar Harbor’s culinary delights on this walking tour.
2. Bar Harbor Historical Guided Walking Tour
Begin your guided walking tour of historic Bar Harbor at the village green and enjoy a refreshing bottle of Maine spring water while meeting your local guide. Over the course of two hours, explore the town’s rich Gilded Age history and hear stories of influential locals and notorious rum runners.
Walk along West Street, where tourism in Bar Harbor first began, and visit the cemetery and civil war monument for a deeper look into the town’s past. Your knowledgeable guide will share insights about notable figures like John D. Rockefeller and major events such as the Great Fire of 1947.
End your tour back at the village green with a sweet local treat in hand. This Bar Harbor Historical Guided Walking Tour is the perfect way to experience the town’s charming ambiance and fascinating history.
Bar Harbor: Answering the Most Frequently Asked Questions by TouristsAre you planning a visit to Bar Harbor, Maine? Or maybe you’re already there and have some questions about what to expect from this charming coastal town. In this article, we will answer the most frequently asked questions by tourists about Bar Harbor.
1. What is the best time to visit Bar Harbor?The best time to visit Bar Harbor is during the summer months, from June to August, when the weather is warm, and the town is bustling with activities. However, keep in mind that this is also the peak season, and you may encounter crowds and higher prices. If you prefer a quieter and more affordable time to visit, consider coming in the shoulder seasons, from May to June and September to October.
2. What are the must-see attractions in Bar Harbor?Bar Harbor is known for its stunning natural beauty, and there is no shortage of amazing attractions to see. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Acadia National Park
- Cadillac Mountain
- Schoodic Point
- The Abbe Museum
- Bar Harbor Shore Path
3. What outdoor activities can I do in Bar Harbor?Bar Harbor is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts, and you’ll find plenty of activities to keep you busy. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Hiking in Acadia National Park
- Cycling on the Carriage Roads
- Kayaking on Frenchman Bay
- Sailing on a Windjammer
- Fishing for lobster
4. What is the dining scene like in Bar Harbor?Bar Harbor is a foodie’s paradise, and you’ll find a wide range of dining options to suit all tastes and budgets. From fresh seafood shacks to gourmet restaurants, there is something for everyone. Some of our favorite restaurants in Bar Harbor include:
- Stewman’s Lobster Pound
- Jordan Pond House
- The Thirsty Whale
5. What is the nightlife like in Bar Harbor?Bar Harbor may not be known for its nightlife, but you’ll still find plenty to do after dark. Whether you’re looking for a cozy bar or live music, there are options to suit all tastes. Some of our favorite spots for a night out include:
- The Lompoc Cafe
- Side Street Cafe
- The Dog and Pony Tavern
- Rogue’s Gallery
- The Criterion Theatre
6. How do I get around Bar Harbor?Bar Harbor is a small town, and you can easily walk to most attractions and restaurants in the downtown area. However, if you want to explore further afield, renting a car is a good option. You can also take advantage of the free Island Explorer Shuttle, which operates from late June to mid-October and serves the major attractions in Acadia National Park and the surrounding area.
7. What should I pack for a trip to Bar Harbor?What you pack will depend on the time of year you’re visiting, but some essentials include:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A waterproof jacket
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- A camera to capture the stunning scenery
- A sweater or light jacket for cool evenings
8. What are the best accommodations in Bar Harbor?Bar Harbor has a wide range of accommodations to suit all travel styles and budgets. From cozy bed and breakfasts to luxurious hotels, there is something for everyone. Some of our favorite places to stay in Bar Harbor include:
- The Harborside Hotel, Spa and Marina
- The Balance Rock Inn
- Bar Harbor Inn and Spa
- The Birches Acadian Bed and Breakfast
- The Blue Nose Inn