Zanzibar City is a bustling metropolis that is rich in culture, history, and natural beauty. Its narrow alleyways, ornate buildings, and vibrant markets will leave you spellbound. Zanzibar City is not only known for its stunning beaches, but it also has a plethora of attractions that are waiting to be explored. From wandering through the maze-like streets of Stone Town to visiting the ruins of the old slave market, there is something for everyone in Zanzibar City. In this post, we will take a closer look at some of the best attractions and things to do in Zanzibar City. Whether you’re a history buff, foodie or adventurer, Zanzibar City has plenty to offer.
The 3 Best Things To Do And See In Zanzibar City
- Zanzibar Top 5 Attractions With Lunch
- Stone Town and Prison Island Private Tour in Zanzibar
- Full Day Prison Island Nakupenda and Stone Town Tour With Lunch Buffet
The 3 Best Things To Do And See In Zanzibar City
1. Zanzibar Top 5 Attractions With Lunch
Discover the top 5 attractions of Zanzibar while immersing in its culture and traditions during a private tour. Admire the Columbus Red Monkey at Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park and meet tortoises and peacocks on a private boat ride to Prison Island. Witness spices growing in their natural habitat and savor a delicious lunch at a Swahili restaurant. Relax in an air-conditioned vehicle with bottled water provided, and take comfort in knowing that admission to all activities is included in this authentic Zanzibar experience. Pick up is available from your hotel.
2. Stone Town and Prison Island Private Tour in Zanzibar
Discover two of the most significant destinations in Zanzibar with our private tour: Stone Town and Prison Island. In just one day, you will be taken to amazing landmarks like the National Museum, Sultan Palace, Darajani Market, and Hamamni Baths. Enjoy a personalized, hassle-free experience during your visit to these world heritage sites.
After visiting Stone Town, we’ll head out to Changuu Island, which is also known as Prison Island, where we will show you the prison ruins and the Aldabra giant tortoise. This tour is exclusively for your party and includes private transportation, bottled water, and admission fees to all stops.
You will learn about Zanzibar’s history and culture from your knowledgeable guide during this private tour. Pickup is available at any hotel/accommodation in Zanzibar to make your experience even more convenient. Join us and discover two top Zanzibar attractions in one unforgettable day tour.
3. Full Day Prison Island Nakupenda and Stone Town Tour With Lunch Buffet
Explore some of the most important attractions in Zanzibar City on this full-day private tour. Begin your day by discovering the UNESCO-listed Stone Town and its numerous historical sites, including the Anglican Cathedral, House of Wonders, Old Fort, and Hamamni Baths. Afterward, take a short boat ride to Prison Island, where you can observe Aldabra giant tortoises and explore the ruins of a 19th-century prison. Your tour will conclude with an included buffet lunch at Nakupenda Beach Nature Reserve. This private tour offers a personalized experience and hassle-free pickup from your hotel anywhere in Zanzibar. Don’t miss the chance to discover three of Zanzibar’s most beloved attractions in just one day!
Everything You Need to Know About Zanzibar City: A Tourist’s GuideIf you are planning to visit Zanzibar City, the capital of the Zanzibar archipelago, it’s essential to have all the necessary information beforehand. In this guide, we’ve compiled some of the most frequently asked questions by tourists to help you plan your visit to this exotic destination.
1. Where is Zanzibar City located?Zanzibar City, also known as Stone Town, is located on the west coast of Zanzibar Island, which is part of Tanzania in East Africa.
2. What is the best time to visit Zanzibar City?The best time to visit Zanzibar City is during the dry season, from June to October, when the weather is sunny, and there is little rainfall. The wet season occurs between March to May and November to December, which could make your visit less enjoyable.
3. What is the currency of Zanzibar City?The official currency in Zanzibar City is Tanzanian Shilling (TZS), and USD is the preferred currency if you need to pay for expensive items. ATMs are readily available in Stone Town, and most of them accept international cards.
4. What should I wear in Zanzibar City?Zanzibar City is a predominantly Muslim city, and it’s essential to dress modestly. Women are advised to wear long skirts or pants and cover their shoulders, whereas men should wear long pants or knee-length shorts outside the beach area.
5. What are the famous tourist attractions in Zanzibar City?Zanzibar City is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a rich history and culture. The famous tourist attractions include:
a. The Old FortThe Old Fort is a historical site built by the Portuguese in the 17th century. Today, the fort has been transformed into a cultural center and a venue for cultural performances.
b. Forodhani GardensForodhani Gardens is a waterfront park located at the heart of Stone Town. The park is famous for its food market where you can try a wide range of local delicacies.
c. House of WondersThe House of Wonders is a four-story building that houses a museum showcasing the history and culture of Zanzibar.
d. Jozani Chwaka Bay National ParkThe Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park is a nature reserve that offers a glimpse of the indigenous flora and fauna of Zanzibar, including the red colobus monkey, which is unique to Zanzibar.
6. How do I get to Zanzibar City?The best way to get to Zanzibar City is by air, and several airlines fly to Abeid Amani Karume International Airport, which is just six kilometers from Stone Town. Alternatively, you can take a ferry from Dar es Salaam, which takes approximately two hours.
7. What are the best accommodations in Zanzibar City?Zanzibar City offers a wide range of accommodation options, including budget guesthouses, boutique hotels, and luxury resorts. Some of the popular accommodations include:
a. Zanzibar Serena HotelThe Zanzibar Serena Hotel is a luxurious hotel located in the heart of Stone Town. The hotel offers spectacular views of the Indian Ocean and has a swimming pool, restaurants, and a spa.
b. Maru Maru HotelThe Maru Maru Hotel is a boutique hotel located in the center of Stone Town. The hotel has a rooftop bar, a swimming pool, and a restaurant.
c. Zanzibar Coffee HouseThe Zanzibar Coffee House is a budget guesthouse located in the heart of Stone Town. The guesthouse offers comfortable rooms, a rooftop terrace, and a cafe that serves some of the best coffee in Zanzibar.
8. What are the popular activities to do in Zanzibar City?Apart from visiting the famous tourist attractions, there are several activities that you can do in Zanzibar City, including:
a. Diving and snorkelingZanzibar City is famous for its coral reefs, and diving and snorkeling are popular activities. You can explore the colorful marine life and spot dolphins, whale sharks, and turtles.
b. Spice toursZanzibar is known as the Spice Island, and a spice tour is an excellent way to experience the spices and herbs grown on the island. You can see how the spices are harvested and taste some of the unique flavors.
c. Cultural toursYou can take a walking tour of Stone Town and explore the narrow streets, old buildings, and markets. You can also visit local villages and interact with the locals to get a glimpse of their way of life.In conclusion, Zanzibar City is an excellent tourist destination that offers a unique blend of history, culture, and nature. With the right information, you can plan your visit to this exotic location and have an unforgettable experience.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Zanzibar CityIf you are planning a trip to Zanzibar city as a tourist, then you have made an excellent choice. Zanzibar is a beautiful city that is rich in culture and history. The city is known for its beautiful beaches, interesting architecture, delicious food, and welcoming people. However, with all the things to see and do in Zanzibar, it can be challenging to decide how to spend your time. In this post, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to make the most of your time as a tourist in Zanzibar city.
1. Visit Stone TownStone Town is a UNESCO World Heritage site that is located in the heart of Zanzibar city. The town is a labyrinth of narrow streets that are lined with beautiful old buildings, shops, and cafes. Stone Town is known for its unique blend of African, Arab, and European influences that are reflected in its architecture, food, and culture.While you’re here, make sure to visit the House of Wonders, which is one of the most famous buildings in Stone Town. The house was built in 1883 and was the first building in Zanzibar to have electricity and an elevator. You should also check out the Old Fort, which is a large stone fortress that was built in the 17th century to protect the city from invaders.
2. Go on a Spice TourZanzibar is known as the Spice Island, and for a good reason. This island produces some of the best spices in the world, including cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper. To make the most of your visit to Zanzibar, you should go on a spice tour.During a spice tour, you will get to experience the aromas and tastes of various spices while learning about their history and uses. The tour will also take you through the lush green plantations where the spices are grown.
3. Relax on the BeachesZanzibar is also known for its beautiful beaches, which are perfect for relaxing and soaking up some sun. There are many beaches to choose from, but some of the best include Nungwi Beach, Kendwa Beach, and Paje Beach.These beaches offer crystal clear waters, white sand, and beautiful sunsets. While you’re here, you can also try your hand at water activities such as snorkeling, diving, and kite surfing.
4. Explore Jozani ForestJozani Forest is located in the center of Zanzibar island and is home to the rare Red Colobus Monkey. This forest is a must-visit for nature enthusiasts and is perfect for a half-day trip.While you’re here, you can take a guided tour with a knowledgeable guide who will show you the different types of wildlife that live in the forest. You can also walk along the boardwalks that cut through the forest, which offer scenic views of the mangroves.
5. Taste the Local FoodZanzibar is famous for its delicious food, which is a blend of African, Indian, and Arab influences. To experience the local cuisine, you should visit the Forodhani night market in Stone Town.The market serves a variety of foods such as Zanzibar pizza, grilled seafood, and sugar cane juice. You can also try the traditional Swahili dishes such as pilau, biryani, and kachumbari.
Book Your Tour NowZanzibar city is a fascinating destination that has something for everyone. With this comprehensive guide, you can now plan your trip to Zanzibar city and make the most of your time as a tourist. Whether you’re looking to explore the city’s historical sites, relax on the beaches, or try the local food, Zanzibar city has it all.
Table of Contents