Welcome to Alexandria, Egypt! A city that is steeped in history, culture, and vast architectural wonders. Alexandria is a place of ancient civilization, and it has a lot of things to offer to every type of traveler. From its magnificent coastline and charming corniche to its famous landmarks, museums, and libraries, Alexandria has something special to offer to everyone who visits. This post will take you on a journey through the best attractions and things to do in Alexandria, Egypt. So pack your bags, and join us for an unforgettable tour of this marvelous city.
The 2 Best Things For Couples To Do In Alexandria Egypt
The 2 Best Things For Couples To Do In Alexandria Egypt
1. Alexandria Walking Tour
Your Alexandria Walking Tour begins at a designated meeting point in the heart of the city. Walk through bustling streets and markets as you immerse yourself in the sights, sounds, and smells of the city. Your first stop will be the Library of Alexandria – the biggest library in the world. Visit its open court where you can see the statue of Alexander the Great and the statue of Ptolemy the first which was found underwater nearby. You will also have the opportunity to visit the President Saddat Museum and Impressions of Alexandria Museum. Please note that the library is closed on Fridays and in public holidays. To enter the reading area, you will need to purchase a ticket (optional).
Next, visit the Al Qa’ed Ibrahim Mosque, a historical mosque located in Alexandria. It was built in 19 – – . The final stop on the tour is the oldest market area in Mansheya, where you can explore and experience the unique atmosphere of a traditional Egyptian market.
Throughout the tour, your friendly and knowledgeable guide will provide insights into the city’s history and culture, making your Alexandria experience a memorable one.
2. From Cairo or Giza Alexandria Day Tour
Experience a full-day tour to Alexandria from Cairo or Giza and explore the city’s rich history and diverse cultural heritage. Start your adventure by visiting the Catacombs of Kom El-Shokafa, an ancient Greek and Roman necropolis located underground. Marvel at the intricate carvings on the walls and see the beautifully decorated sarcophagi. Next, head to Pompey’s Pillar, an impressive triumphal column that was built in honor of Roman Emperor Augustus Diocletian more than 1,700 years ago. Learn about the fascinating history of the area and discover the remains of the Serapis Temple, which was built around the pillar.
Afterward, visit the Medieval Citadel of Alexandria situated in front of the Mediterranean. Explore the magnificent fortress and take in the stunning panoramic views of the sea. Finally, discover the Modern Alexandria Library, a world-class library that houses millions of books and manuscripts. Admire the impressive architecture and learn about the library’s history and significance. This tour is the perfect way to experience some of the best cultural and historical attractions in Alexandria in just one day.
Frequently Asked Questions About Alexandria, EgyptAlexandria, Egypt, is a city full of wonder in terms of culture, history, and beauty. Many tourists from all over the world come to Alexandria and experience the city’s wonders. As with any travel destination, visitors have valid concerns, so we have compiled some of the frequently asked questions about Alexandria.
1. What is the best time to visit Alexandria?The climate in Alexandria is a Mediterranean one, meaning mild winters and hot summers. Tourists can visit Alexandria at any time of the year, but the best time would be between the months of March and November, which coincide with the spring, summer, and autumn seasons. During these months, Alexandria’s climate is pleasant, and the weather is comfortable for sightseeing.
2. What are the must-see attractions in Alexandria?Alexandria is home to many remarkable attractions, such as Pompey’s Pillar, the Bibliotheca Alexandrina, the Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa, the Citadel of Qaitbay, and the Montaza Palace Gardens. These attractions offer tourists insights into the city’s history, architecture, and culture.
3. What is the dress code while visiting Alexandria?Egypt is an Islamic country, and while Alexandria is more modern, it is still respectful to dress modestly while in public places. Women should avoid revealing clothes such as shorts and tank tops, and men should avoid wearing shorts too. Comfortable and lightweight clothing is appropriate for the warm climate.
4. What is the local currency, and where can tourists exchange money?The Egyptian Pound (EGP) is the local currency in Alexandria, and it is advisable for tourists to exchange currency at an authorized exchange center or a bank for the best rates. ATMs are also widely available across the city.
5. What are the local transportation options in Alexandria?Alexandria offers various transportation options such as taxis, buses, and trains. Taxis are a popular option and can be hailed on the streets, but it is advisable to agree on the price before starting the journey. Buses and trains are also available, and they are affordable options, making them perfect for exploring the city.
6. Is it safe to travel to Alexandria?Alexandria is generally safe for tourists, but like any other city, it is essential to take a few precautions. Tourists are advised to be vigilant when visiting crowded places, avoid traveling alone at night, and be mindful of their belongings in busy areas. Overall, the locals are friendly and welcoming, making it a fantastic destination for travelers.
7. What are the local food options in Alexandria?Alexandria is known for its delicious street food, such as ful medames, koshari, and mahshi. Seafood is also widely available and is a popular option among locals and tourists alike. Egyptian desserts such as basbousa and konafa are excellent options for those with a sweet tooth.
8. What is the language spoken in Alexandria?The official language in Alexandria is Arabic, but many locals also speak English, particularly those in the tourism industry. Learning a few Arabic phrases can be helpful and is considered respectful by locals.
9. What is the tipping etiquette in Alexandria?Tipping is customary in Alexandria and is a way to show appreciation for good service. It is recommended to tip 10% to 15% of the bill, depending on the service provided. Tourists should note that tipping is not mandatory but is appreciated.
10. What is the best way to plan a trip to Alexandria?The best way to plan a trip to Alexandria is to research online, read reviews, and consult with travel agencies. Tourists should make a packing list, prepare a budget, and plan an itinerary before their trip. They should also obtain all necessary travel documents, including a visa if required.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Alexandria Egypt
Alexandria, a beautiful coastal city in Egypt, boasts of a rich history and a vibrant culture that has attracted tourists from all over the world. From the Great Library of Alexandria to the famous lighthouse, there is a lot to see and do in this city. In this guide, we will give you an insight into how to spend your time as a tourist in Alexandria Egypt, without missing out on any of the best sights and sounds. Let’s start exploring!
The Best Time to Visit Alexandria, Egypt
Alexandria has a Mediterranean climate, characterized by hot, dry summers and mild, rainy winters. The best time to visit Alexandria is during the shoulder season, from March to May or September to November, when the weather is mild and the crowds are thin. The summer months of June to August tend to be hot and humid, while the winter months of December to February can be wet, making it less conducive for sightseeing.
Getting Around in Alexandria Egypt
Getting around in Alexandria is quite easy, with an extensive public transportation network that includes buses, trams, and taxis. The best way to explore the city is through guided tours, which are widely available in the city. Alternatively, you can rent a car and explore the city on your own.
1. The Great Library of Alexandria
The Great Library of Alexandria is a must-visit destination for book lovers and history buffs. Founded in the 3rd century BC, it was considered one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world. Although the original library was destroyed, a new one has been built on the same site, which houses an impressive collection of books, manuscripts, and other historical artifacts.
2. Citadel of Qaitbay
The Citadel of Qaitbay is a prominent landmark in Alexandria that dates back to the 15th century. It was built to defend the city against invasions from the sea and was also used as a prison during the Ottoman era. Today, it serves as a museum that houses various artifacts, including the original doorway of the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
3. Pompey’s Pillar
Pompey’s Pillar is a towering monument in Alexandria that stands 26.85 meters tall. It was built in honor of Emperor Diocletian, who ruled in the 4th century AD, and was once part of a massive temple complex. Today, the pillar serves as one of the city’s most prominent landmarks, and visitors can climb to the top for panoramic views of the surrounding area.
4. Alexandria National Museum
The Alexandria National Museum is an excellent place to learn about the rich cultural history of Alexandria. The museum houses a wide range of exhibits, including ancient Egyptian artifacts, Greco-Roman sculptures, Islamic ceramics, and more. The building itself is also a work of art, showcasing a unique blend of Islamic and Modernist architecture.
5. Montazah Palace
The Montazah Palace is a beautifully landscaped palace that was built in the early 20th century by the Khedive of Egypt. Today, the palace serves as a museum that houses several exhibits, including photos and artifacts from the palace’s history. Visitors can also wander the palace gardens, which offer stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Book Your Tour Now
Alexandria Egypt is a city with a long and fascinating history that offers tourists an unparalleled travel experience. From the Great Library of Alexandria to the Citadel of Qaitbay, there is no shortage of sights and sounds to explore. With its mild weather, extensive public transportation network, and numerous guided tours, Alexandria is the perfect destination for a solo traveler or family vacation. To make the most of your trip to Alexandria, make sure to plan your itinerary in advance and prioritize the sights and sounds that interest you the most.
Table of Contents