Antwerp, the second-largest city in Belgium, is a vibrant metropolis that appeals to history buffs, art lovers, fashion enthusiasts, and foodies alike. It’s renowned for its port, diamond industry, and cultural heritage, but it also boasts a creative energy that infects visitors and locals alike. Whether you’re here for a short break, on a business trip, or studying abroad, Antwerp offers a plethora of attractions and things to do for all ages and interests. In this post, we’ve compiled the best sights, sounds, and experiences that Antwerp has to offer. So, let’s explore the city’s hidden gems and top attractions together!
The 2 Best Romantic Things To Do In Antwerp
The 2 Best Romantic Things To Do In Antwerp
1. 3 Hours Bike Tours in Antwerp
Discover the stunning Antwerp on this 3-hour bike tour guided by a local. Absorb the local atmosphere while cycling through the city streets and explore Antwerp’s landmarks like the Central Station, the Scheldt River, and the Museum of Fine Art. You’ll also get inside tips from your knowledgeable guide on what the locals love most about their city. Bring a snack to fuel your spin through Antwerp’s ancient streets and pristine parks as your local guide sheds light on Antwerp’s history and heritage. Bike rental, professional guide, and helmet (if desired) are included in this excellent value for money tour. The meeting point is at Cyclant’s Antwerp Central Train Station location.
2. Antwerp City Exploration Game the Alchemist
Antwerp is a city full of history, culture and hidden gems. If you want to experience the best of this city, we recommend participating in the Antwerp City Exploration Game the Alchemist. This tour is a fun way to discover different parts of Antwerp with your family or friends, while also solving riddles and completing several missions.
The plot of the game is set in the year 1555 when strange phenomena are happening in the city. Your mission is to distinguish between true and false, examine the clues discovered in various locations and meet various witnesses, in order to organize a trial and find out the truth about a woman accused of witchcraft. You can choose to defend her or to support the accusation of witchcraft.
Overall, this tour is a unique way to explore Antwerp while having fun with your loved ones.
Frequently Asked Questions About AntwerpAntwerp is a beautiful city in Belgium, known for its rich history, culture, and variety of tourist attractions. As a popular tourist destination, it is natural for visitors to have a number of questions. In this blog post, we will go through the most frequently asked questions about Antwerp.
1. What is the best time to visit Antwerp?Antwerp has something to offer for every season. The peak tourist season in Antwerp is from June to August. During this time, the weather is generally warm and sunny, making it an ideal time for sightseeing and outdoor activities. However, if you want to avoid the crowds, it is best to visit during the shoulder season (April to May, September to October). During the winter months, Antwerp transforms into a winter wonderland with enchanting Christmas markets and decorations.
2. How do I get to Antwerp?Antwerp is located just 45 minutes away from Brussels by train, and it has excellent rail connections with major European cities like Paris, Amsterdam, and London. You can also fly into Brussels Airport and take a train or bus to Antwerp. Additionally, you can drive to Antwerp from nearby countries like the Netherlands, France, and Germany.
3. What are the top tourist attractions in Antwerp?Antwerp is famous for its architecture, museums, art galleries, and fashion. Some of the top tourist attractions include:
- The Antwerp Cathedral
- The Antwerp Zoo
- The Plantin-Moretus Museum
- The Rubens House
- The MAS museum
- The Royal Museum of Fine Arts Antwerp
4. What is the best way to get around Antwerp?Antwerp is a compact city and easy to explore on foot or by bike. However, if you prefer public transport, the city has an extensive network of trams and buses that cover all major tourist destinations. You can buy a one-day pass or a three-day pass for unlimited travel on trams and buses.
5. What is the local currency in Antwerp?The local currency in Belgium is Euro (EUR). You can exchange your currency at banks, exchange bureaus, or ATMs located throughout the city.
6. What is the local language spoken in Antwerp?The official language in Antwerp is Dutch. However, many people also speak English, French, and German. It is always best to learn a few basic phrases in the local language to make your travel experience smoother.
7. What are the best places to shop in Antwerp?Antwerp is known for its fashion designers and boutique shops. Some of the best places to shop include:
- Antwerp Fashion District (located in the south of the city)
- Hopland (luxury shopping street in the city center)
- Momu Fashion Museum (has a store with unique fashion items)
- Antwerp Central Station (has a large shopping center with various brands)
8. What is the local food in Antwerp?Belgian cuisine is famous for its hearty dishes, such as stews, waffles, fries, and chocolates. Some of the must-try dishes in Antwerp include:
- Stoofvlees (beef stew cooked in beer)
- Mosselen met friet (mussels with fries)
- Carbonade flamande (Flemish beef stew)
- Wafels (Belgian waffles)
- Chocolate- try some of the local chocolate makers such as Neuhaus, Godiva, and Leonidas
9. What are some free things to do in Antwerp?Antwerp has several free activities to enjoy, such as:
- Explore the historic city center
- Visit the outdoor markets like the Saturday market and the Vogelenmarkt
- Admire street art in the city neighborhoods
- Explore Antwerp’s beautiful parks like Stadspark and Park Spoor Noord
- Visit the Red Star Line Museum (on Wednesdays, entry is free)
10. Is Antwerp a safe city for tourists?Like all cities, Antwerp has its share of petty theft and pickpocketing. However, it is generally considered a safe city for tourists. It is always important to take basic safety precautions like being aware of your surroundings and not carrying valuables in crowded areas.In conclusion, Antwerp is a charming city that offers something for everyone. We hope this guide has answered some of your questions and helped you plan your trip to this beautiful city.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in AntwerpAntwerp is a beautiful city located in the northern part of Belgium. Known as the diamond capital of the world, Antwerp has much more to offer than just shopping for diamonds. The city is filled with history, culture, and beautiful architecture that is waiting to be discovered. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to spend your time as a tourist in Antwerp.
1. Visit the Antwerp CathedralThe Antwerp Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of Our Lady, is a stunning Gothic-style church that took over two centuries to build. It is one of the tallest cathedrals in Europe and is a must-see attraction in Antwerp. Inside the cathedral, you will find several beautiful works of art, including two paintings by Peter Paul Rubens. You can climb to the top of the bell tower for amazing views of the city.
2. Explore the Streets and Squares of Old AntwerpWalking through the streets and squares of old Antwerp is like stepping back in time. The architecture in this part of the city is stunning, and you will see everything from medieval buildings to Renaissance palaces. The Grote Markt is the main square in old Antwerp and is a great place to stop for a bite to eat and to people watch.
3. Visit the Plantin-Moretus MuseumThe Plantin-Moretus Museum is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is the only printing museum in the world that is also a printing house. This museum is dedicated to the history of printing and bookbinding and is a must-see for anyone who loves books. You can see the original printing presses used by Christophe Plantin and his successors and learn about the history of printing in Antwerp.
4. Take a Stroll Along the Scheldt RiverThe Scheldt River is the lifeline of Antwerp and is a great place to take a stroll. The river is lined with beautiful buildings and is a peaceful place to relax and take in the view. You can also take a boat tour along the river to learn more about the history of Antwerp.
5. Enjoy Belgian CuisineBelgium is known for its amazing cuisine, and Antwerp is no exception. From delicious waffles and chocolate to traditional Flemish stews and mussels, there is something for everyone. Be sure to try the Belgian beer, which is some of the best in the world.
6. Visit the Red Star Line MuseumThe Red Star Line Museum is a tribute to the millions of people who left Antwerp to start a new life in America. The museum is housed in the original buildings where the Red Star Line once had its offices and features exhibits about the history of migration and the stories of the people who made the journey.
7. Shop for Antwerp DiamondsAntwerp is known as the diamond capital of the world, so it’s no surprise that shopping for diamonds is a popular activity here. The diamond district in Antwerp is home to over 1,500 diamond shops and is the best place to find high-quality diamonds at reasonable prices.
Book Your Tour NowAntwerp is a beautiful city that has something for everyone. Whether you love history, culture, or good food, Antwerp won’t disappoint. With this guide, you can make the most of your time in this amazing city.
Antwerp tourism, Antwerp Cathedral, old Antwerp, Plantin-Moretus Museum, Scheldt River, Belgian cuisine, Red Star Line Museum, Antwerp diamonds.
Table of Contents