How to Plan Your Private Driving Tour of Lancaster and Amish Country in Philadelphia
If you’re planning a trip to Philadelphia, you won’t want to miss out on the opportunity to explore nearby Amish country. Lancaster County is a short drive away, and it’s home to a thriving Amish and Mennonite community. With a private driving tour, you’ll be able to learn about the fascinating history, customs, and culture of these groups, all while enjoying the beautiful scenery of rural Pennsylvania. Here’s how to plan your private driving tour of Lancaster and Amish Country in Philadelphia.
Step 1: Book Your Tour
First things first, you’ll need to book your tour. Viator offers a Private Driving Tour of Lancaster and Amish Country which can be booked on their website. The tour includes a driver/guide, hotel pickup and drop-off, a private tour, food and drinks, and more.
Step 2: Choose Your Pickup Location
The tour includes hotel pickup and drop-off, so you’ll need to choose your pickup location. You can be picked up directly from your hotel or meet your driver/guide at the Philly Tour Hub. The Philly Tour Hub is located at 229 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19106 USA.
Step 3: Get Ready for Your Tour
On the day of your tour, make sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes. You’ll be spending most of the day in the car, but there will be plenty of opportunities to get out and stretch your legs. It’s also a good idea to bring a bottle of water with you.
Step 4: Enjoy Your Tour
Once you’re settled in the car, your driver/guide will take you on a scenic drive through the countryside. You’ll learn about the history and culture of the Amish and Mennonite people, and see how they live their daily lives. You’ll also have the opportunity to take a horse-drawn carriage ride and browse handmade arts, crafts, and other products.After all the sightseeing, you’re sure to work up an appetite. The tour includes lunch at a Pennsylvania Dutch market where you can enjoy a variety of local foods.
Step 5: Wrap Up Your Tour
Once you’ve enjoyed your lunch and seen all the sights, it’s time to head back to Philadelphia. Your driver/guide will drop you off at your hotel or the Philly Tour Hub, and you can enjoy the rest of your day in the city.
A private driving tour of Lancaster and Amish Country is the perfect way to explore this unique and fascinating part of Pennsylvania. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to plan a seamless and enjoyable tour. Book your tour today, and get ready for an unforgettable experience! Don’t forget to book the tour here through the Viator website.
Most Frequently Asked Questions About Philadelphia
Philadelphia, the largest city in the state of Pennsylvania, is a city steeped in rich history and culture. It is home to iconic landmarks, famous food, and a plethora of museums and attractions that draw millions of visitors every year. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about Philadelphia that we will address in this post.
1. What is Philadelphia famous for?
Philadelphia is famous for being the birthplace of the United States of America. It was in Philadelphia that the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution were both signed. The city is also famous for its cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, and water ice.
2. What are some must-see attractions in Philadelphia?
Philadelphia has an abundance of must-see attractions. Here are some of the most popular ones:
Independence Hall is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is the birthplace of both the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution. Visitors can take guided tours of the historic building where the Founding Fathers debated and drafted these important documents.
The Liberty Bell
The Liberty Bell is a symbol of freedom and is located in Independence National Historical Park. Visitors can see the bell up close and learn about its connection to American history.
Philadelphia Museum of Art
The Philadelphia Museum of Art is one of the largest art museums in the country and is home to over 240,000 works of art. Visitors can see everything from ancient artifacts to contemporary art and can even reenact Rocky Balboa’s famous run up the stairs outside the museum.
Reading Terminal Market
Reading Terminal Market is a large indoor market that is over 125 years old. It is home to over 80 vendors selling everything from fresh produce to artisanal cheeses and chocolates.
3. What is the best way to get around Philadelphia?
Philadelphia has a variety of transportation options including buses, trolleys, trains, and subways. The best way to get around the city depends on where you are going and how far you need to go. The subway system (locally known as “SEPTA”) is typically the fastest and most convenient way to travel longer distances within the city.
4. What is the best time of year to visit Philadelphia?
The best time of year to visit Philadelphia is in the spring (March-May) or fall (September-November). The weather is mild and there are plenty of outdoor events and festivals to enjoy.
5. What are some of the best restaurants in Philadelphia?
Philadelphia is a foodie’s paradise, with a variety of food options ranging from high-end restaurants to street vendors. Here are some of the best restaurants to check out:
Pat’s King of Steaks
Pat’s King of Steaks is one of the oldest and most famous cheesesteak restaurants in Philadelphia. It has been in operation since 1930 and has been featured on numerous TV shows.
Barclay Prime is an upscale steakhouse that is perfect for a special occasion. The restaurant is known for its dry-aged beef and luxurious atmosphere.
Reading Terminal Market
In addition to its food vendors, Reading Terminal Market also has a variety of restaurants and eateries inside. Some popular options include DiNic’s Roast Pork, Beiler’s Bakery, and Flying Monkey Bakery.
6. What are some family-friendly activities in Philadelphia?
Philadelphia has plenty of family-friendly activities that both kids and adults will enjoy. Here are some of the best options:
The Please Touch Museum
The Please Touch Museum is a children’s museum that is designed for kids aged 7 and under. The museum has a variety of exhibits and interactive activities that encourage learning and exploration.
The Franklin Institute
The Franklin Institute is a science museum that is fun for kids and adults alike. Visitors can see exhibits on everything from dinosaurs to space exploration.
The Philadelphia Zoo is home to over 1,300 animals representing more than 40 species. Visitors can see everything from lions to koalas and can even go on a behind-the-scenes tour.
7. What is the weather like in Philadelphia?
Philadelphia has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and cold winters. The average high temperature in the summer is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius), while the average low temperature in the winter is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 degree Celsius).
8. What are some off-the-beaten-path things to do in Philadelphia?
If you’re looking to explore some hidden gems in Philadelphia, here are a few options:
The Mutter Museum
The Mutter Museum is a museum of medical history that is home to a collection of anatomical specimens, antique medical equipment, and odd medical artifacts.
The Magic Gardens
The Magic Gardens is a unique outdoor art installation created by artist Isaiah Zagar. Visitors can explore a maze of mosaicked walls, pathways, and sculptures.
Eastern State Penitentiary
Eastern State Penitentiary is a former prison that is now a museum. Visitors can go on guided tours of the prison and learn about its history and the lives of its inmates.
Philadelphia is a city full of history, culture, and delicious food. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or just looking to explore something new, Philadelphia has something for everyone. From its iconic landmarks to its hidden gems, this city is sure to leave you with memories that will last a lifetime. So pack your bags and get ready to explore all that Philadelphia has to offer!
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, also known as Philly, is a city that is full of history and culture. There are so many things to do and see in this city, you could spend weeks here and still not see everything. If you are a first-time tourist in Philadelphia, it can be overwhelming to decide which activities and attractions to prioritize. In this guide, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to spend your time as a tourist in Philadelphia.
Step 1: Visit the Independence National Historical Park
The Independence National Historical Park is a must-visit for any tourist in Philadelphia. This park is home to some of the most important historic sites in the United States, including Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and the Benjamin Franklin Museum. Here’s what you can do at the Independence National Historical Park:
- Take a tour of Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution were signed.
- Visit the Liberty Bell Center and see the iconic Liberty Bell.
- Explore the Benjamin Franklin Museum and learn about the life and work of this founding father.
- Take a walk around Independence Mall and visit the National Constitution Center.
Step 2: Explore the Philadelphia Museum of Art
The Philadelphia Museum of Art is one of the best art museums in the United States. It is known for its impressive collection of American art, including works by famous artists such as Thomas Eakins and Winslow Homer. Here’s what you can expect at the Philadelphia Museum of Art:
- Explore the museum’s vast collection of American art, including paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts.
- See the famous “Rocky Steps” that were featured in the movie “Rocky”.
- Visit the museum’s special exhibitions, which change regularly throughout the year.
- Take a stroll through the museum’s outdoor sculpture garden.
Step 3: Take a Walk Through Reading Terminal Market
Reading Terminal Market is a historic public market that has been around since 1893. It is a great place to sample some of Philadelphia’s best food and drinks. Here’s what you can expect at Reading Terminal Market:
- Taste a delicious Philly cheesesteak, which originated in Philadelphia.
- Try some other unique and tasty foods, such as soft pretzels, roast pork sandwiches, and shoofly pie.
- Sip on some locally brewed coffee or beer.
- Browse the market’s many vendors and pick up some souvenirs to take home.
Step 4: Visit the Philadelphia Zoo
The Philadelphia Zoo is one of the oldest zoos in the United States and is home to over 1,300 animals from around the world. Here’s what you can expect at the Philadelphia Zoo:
- See a wide variety of animals, including lions, tigers, gorillas, and more.
- Take a ride on the zoo’s Zooballoon, which offers panoramic views of the zoo and the city.
- Participate in a behind-the-scenes tour of the zoo and learn about the animals’ care.
- Visit the zoo’s children’s zoo, where kids can get up close and personal with some friendly animals.
Step 5: Take a Stroll Through Rittenhouse Square
Rittenhouse Square is a picturesque public park in the heart of Philadelphia’s Center City. It is a great place to relax and people watch. Here’s what you can expect at Rittenhouse Square:
- Take a stroll through the park and enjoy the beautiful landscaping and historic architecture.
- Bring a picnic and enjoy a meal in the park or dine at one of the many nearby restaurants.
- Listen to live music or watch a performance at the park’s outdoor stage.
- If you visit during the winter months, see the park transform into a winter wonderland with lights and holiday decorations.
Step 6: Experience the Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
The Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is the largest public art program in the United States. It features over 4,000 murals throughout the city, each telling a unique story. Here’s what you can expect from the Philadelphia Mural Arts Program:
- Take a guided trolley tour and experience some of the city’s most famous murals.
- Join a walking tour and learn about the history and meaning behind each mural.
- Participate in a mural-making workshop and learn to create your artwork.
- Download the Mural Arts Philadelphia app and take a self-guided tour of the murals.
Step 7: Learn About the Science History Institute
The Science History Institute is a museum that explores the history of science and its impact on society. Here’s what you can expect at the Science History Institute:
- Explore the museum’s many exhibits, which cover topics such as chemistry, medicine, and technology.
- Learn about the history of science and the role that Philadelphia played in scientific discovery.
- Participate in hands-on workshops and experiments.
- Visit the museum’s library, which houses over 250,000 volumes of rare science and technology books.
Step 8: Visit the Franklin Institute
The Franklin Institute is a science museum that is named after the famous American statesman and inventor Benjamin Franklin. It is a great place to learn about science and technology in a fun and interactive way. Here’s what you can expect at the Franklin Institute:
- Explore the museum’s many exhibits, which cover topics such as space exploration, the human body, and electricity.
- Take a seat in the museum’s planetarium and watch a show about the stars and galaxies.
- Participate in hands-on science experiments and learn about the scientific method.
- Visit the museum’s special exhibitions, which change regularly throughout the year.
Philadelphia is a city that is full of history, culture, and fun. With so many things to do and see, it can be overwhelming for first-time tourists to decide where to start. In this guide, we have provided you with a step-by-step plan on how to spend your time as a tourist in Philadelphia. By following these steps, you can be sure to get a taste of everything this great city has to offer.
Table of Contents