How to Plan Your Hobbiton Movie Set Guided TourIf you’re a fan of The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit trilogies, then a visit to the Hobbiton Movie Set in the heart of the Waikato region is a must-do on your travel bucket list. It’s the only set left standing from the movies, and a guided tour gives you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to immerse yourself in Middle-earth. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps to plan your Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour, so you can make the most of your visit.
Step 1: Choose Your Tour PackageThe Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour is offered by a third-party company, and there are various tour packages to choose from, depending on your budget and preferences. The most popular tour package is the standard guided tour, which includes a guided tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set, complimentary beverage at the Green Dragon Inn, and additional drinks at the Inn (at your own expense). The tour lasts approximately two hours, and the price of the tour is $84 (as of September 2021). If you’re looking for a more private and personalized experience, you can opt for a private tour package, which includes a private guided tour, the exclusive use of a private dining room at the Green Dragon Inn, and a set menu meal. The private tour package is ideal for couples, families, or small groups who want to celebrate a special occasion or have a more intimate experience. The price of the private tour package starts from $3,173 (as of September 2021).
Step 2: Book Your TourOnce you’ve chosen your tour package, it’s time to book your tour. The easiest way to book your Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour is through GetYourGuide, an online platform that offers a wide range of tours and activities around the world. The booking process is straightforward: select your preferred date and time, choose your tour package, and make the payment. Don’t forget to bring your voucher with you on the day of the tour. The voucher contains essential information, such as the date and time of the tour, the name of the tour operator, and the meeting point. You can either print the voucher or show it on your smartphone.
Step 3: Plan Your JourneyThe Hobbiton Movie Set is located in Matamata, approximately two hours’ drive from Auckland and one hour’s drive from Rotorua. If you’re driving, you can follow the signs to Matamata from SH1 or SH29. There is ample car parking available at the Movie Set, and there are no parking fees. If you don’t have a car, you can opt for a private transfer or a shuttle bus service. The shuttle bus service departs from the Matamata i-SITE Visitor Information Centre, and the price of the return ticket is $17 (as of September 2021). The shuttle bus service is convenient and reliable, and it allows you to enjoy the scenic views without worrying about the driving.
Step 4: Get Ready for Your TourBefore you set off on your Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Firstly, wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as there is a fair amount of walking involved, and some of the paths can be uneven. Secondly, bring a camera or a smartphone, as there are plenty of photo opportunities on the tour. Finally, carry some cash or a credit card if you want to purchase souvenirs or additional drinks at the Green Dragon Inn.
Step 5: Enjoy Your TourOnce you arrive at the Hobbiton Movie Set, you’ll be greeted by your guide, who will take you on a journey through the rolling hills and picturesque landscapes of the Shire. You’ll see the Hobbit Holes up close and hear fascinating stories about the making of the movies. You’ll also get to visit the famous Green Dragon Inn and enjoy a complimentary beverage. The tour is informative, entertaining, and suitable for all ages. Whether you’re a die-hard fan of the movies or just a curious traveler, the Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour is an unforgettable experience that will transport you to a magical world.
Book Your Tour NowPlanning your Hobbiton Movie Set guided tour is easy and straightforward. Choose your tour package, book your tour, plan your journey, get ready for your tour, and enjoy your tour. Remember to bring your camera and your sense of adventure, and you’ll have a fantastic time exploring Middle-earth. Book your tour here and get ready for an experience of a lifetime!
Hobbiton Movie Set FAQ – Everything You Must KnowIf you’re a Lord of the Rings fan, you’ve probably heard of the Hobbiton Movie Set. The iconic location is where the famous LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy were filmed. Built on a working sheep farm, the Hobbiton Movie Set is a must-visit for any LOTR enthusiast. But before you go and book your tour, chances are you have a ton of questions. Below is a comprehensive FAQ that covers everything you need to know about the Hobbiton Movie Set.
1. What is the Hobbiton Movie Set?The Hobbiton Movie Set is a collection of Hobbit holes, gardens, bridges, and the famous Party Tree, all reconstructed to look exactly like the movie sets from Peter Jackson’s LOTR and Hobbit trilogies. You can find it in the town of Matamata, which is about two hours south of Auckland or one hour west of Rotorua, in New Zealand’s North Island.
2. What is the best time to visit the Hobbiton Movie Set?The Hobbiton Movie Set welcomes visitors all year round. However, the peak season is between December and February (summer in New Zealand), which is also the busiest time. If you want to avoid crowds, the best time to visit is during the off-peak season, which is from March to November.
3. How can I book tickets for the Hobbiton Movie Set?You can book your tickets directly on the Hobbiton Movie Set website or through your travel agent. We recommend booking your tickets in advance, especially if you plan to visit during the peak season.
4. What types of tours are available?There are several tours available, depending on your interests and budget. The most common tours are:
- The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour
- The Evening Banquet Tour
- The Movie Set Tour and Waitomo Caves Combo Tour
- The Hobbiton and Rotorua Tour
5. How long is the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set?The duration of the tours varies, depending on the type of tour you choose. The shortest tour is the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour, which takes about two hours. The Evening Banquet Tour takes about four hours, while the combo tours can take between eight to ten hours.
6. Is the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set suitable for children?Yes! The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour is a family-friendly activity. Children under the age of eight can join the tour for free, but they must be accompanied by a paying adult.
7. Is the Hobbiton Movie Set wheelchair accessible?Yes! The Hobbiton Movie Set is wheelchair accessible. However, some areas of the tour may be challenging for wheelchair users due to the gravel paths and stairs. If you have any concerns, we recommend contacting the Hobbiton Movie Set directly before booking your tour.
8. What should I wear on the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set?We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and clothes suitable for a farm environment. The Hobbiton Movie Set is a working sheep farm, so you may encounter some mud and dirt along the way. Also, remember to bring a hat, sunscreen, and a raincoat, as the weather in New Zealand can be unpredictable.
9. Can I take photos on the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set?Yes! You’re allowed to take photos, but you’re not allowed to use flash photography inside the Hobbit holes. Also, if you’re planning to take photos with the sheep or other animals, please be respectful of their space.
10. Is food and drink available on the Hobbiton Movie Set tour?Yes! Food and drinks are available for purchase at the Shire’s Rest Café before or after your tour. Also, if you book the Evening Banquet Tour, a hearty feast inspired by the movies is included in the tour.
11. What should I expect on the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set?The tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set takes you through the Hobbit holes, gardens, and other iconic locations from the movies. The guide will give you a behind-the-scenes look at how the movie was made, and share some interesting facts and stories about the making of LOTR and The Hobbit. The tour also includes a complimentary drink at the Green Dragon Inn, where you can relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
12. Can I buy souvenirs on the tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set?Yes! The Hobbiton Movie Set has a gift shop where you can buy souvenirs, such as T-shirts, mugs, and other LOTR-themed items. Remember to bring cash or a credit card, as the gift shop doesn’t accept EFTPOS.
13. Can I get to the Hobbiton Movie Set by public transport?No. Unfortunately, there is no public transport available to the Hobbiton Movie Set. We recommend renting a car, joining a tour group, or taking a taxi from nearby towns.
Book Your Tour NowThe Hobbiton Movie Set is a must-visit destination for any LOTR fan. The beautifully reconstructed set looks exactly like the movie sets from Peter Jackson’s movies, and the tour takes you through some of the most iconic locations from the movies. We hope this FAQ has answered all your questions about the Hobbiton Movie Set, and we wish you a happy journey to Middle-earth!
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Hobbiton Movie SetIf you’re a Lord of the Rings fan or just curious about the world of Middle-Earth, then Hobbiton Movie Set is a must-visit destination. Hobbiton is an idyllic countryside location in Matamata, New Zealand, where the Hobbits lived in Peter Jackson’s movie adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien’s books. This post will provide a comprehensive guide on how to spend your time as a tourist in Hobbiton Movie Set.
1. Take a Movie Set TourUndoubtedly, taking a guided movie set tour is a must-do when visiting Hobbiton. The guided tour covers Hobbiton’s 44 Hobbit Holes, including the home of Bilbo Baggins, and Frodo Baggins. During the tour, a knowledgeable guide will take you around the famous movie set and explain how it was created and used in the movies. You’ll learn interesting facts about the location and the production process, see the Shire’s beautiful gardens and stunning landscapes, and have the opportunity to take photos in front of Bag End, the Green Dragon Inn, and other iconic spots. The tour takes around two hours and is both fun and informative, and worth every penny.
2. Visit The Shire’s Rest CaféAfter your tour, take some time to enjoy a warm drink or a bite to eat at the Shire’s Rest Café. The café is located at the movie set entrance, and its charming décor will make you feel like you’re already in the Shire. The café menu is extensive, offering everything from coffee and cakes to artisan pizza and craft beer. The café’s outdoor seating area overlooks Hobbiton, and it’s an excellent place to relax, take in the scenery, and reflect on your tour experience.
3. Experience the Hobbiton Movie Set at DuskLet’s face it, Hobbiton movie set wouldn’t be the same without the glow of lanterns, which make everything look magical. Visiting Hobbiton at dusk is a unique and unforgettable experience. The sunset tours allow visitors to see the Shire in a different light and give an entirely different perspective on the movie set’s beauty. The night tours begin after sunset and take you around the set, showing you how the lighting was used in the filming. Visitors can enjoy a magical evening at the Green Dragon Inn with a complementary drink, making this a must-do for all fans of The Lord of the Rings movies.
4. Attend Themed eventsHobbiton Movie Set hosts seasonal events that celebrate significant moments in Middle-earth history. These events include Easter, Halloween, and Christmas, and are filled with immersive activities, music, costumes, and themed refreshments. Keeping up with Hobbiton’s social media pages will notify you of upcoming events and allow you to plan ahead. These events provide a unique and exciting experience, further adding to the enjoyment of your Hobbiton visit.
5. Browse through Hobbiton’s Gift ShopNo visit to Hobbiton Movie Set is complete without buying a souvenir. The gift shop offers a vast collection of souvenirs, memorabilia, and merchandise, allowing you to take a piece of Middle-earth home with you. The gift shop offers everything from hobbit house models to branded apparel and collectible memorabilia. You can also buy authentic Lord of the Rings merchandise, including swords, armour and replica jewellery. Whatever your taste, there’s a memento waiting for you to take home!
Book Your Tour NowHobbiton Movie Set is a destination with something for everyone, whether you’re a die-hard LOTR fan or just someone who appreciates a beautiful place. Taking a guided tour, visiting the café and gift shop, attending themed events and experiencing Hobbiton at dusk are some highlights of a trip you shouldn’t miss out on. It’s a truly magical place that will leave you with unforgettable memories of your journey into Middle-earth.
Table of Contents