How to Plan Your Guided Tours Sete Cidades and Lagoa Do Fogo Full Day in Ponta DelgadaIf you are someone who loves the natural beauty and is planning a trip to Ponta Delgada, then you cannot miss the Guided Tours Sete Cidades and Lagoa Do Fogo Full Day offered by local tour companies. São Miguel Island is known for its stunning volcanic lakes, hot springs, and scenic hiking trails. This tour covers some of the most beautiful attractions of the island, making it a must-do activity for nature lovers.
Overview of the TourThis full-day tour from Ponta Delgada will take you first to a local pineapple plantation- one of the famous attractions of the island. Afterward, you will be transferred to Sete Cidades where you’ll see the famous bi-colored lagoons from many scenic viewing points. The next stop is Caldeira Velha, where you’ll enjoy the natural hot springs. Then, you’ll see the Lagoa do Fogo, one of the most beautiful volcanic lakes on the island. You’ll enjoy a traditional Azorean lunch, visit a local liqueur factory, and more.
Details about the TourThe tour includes pickup and drop-off from your hotel in Ponta Delgada so you won’t have to worry about transportation. You’ll be accompanied by a driver-guide and a local guide, who will provide you with all the necessary information and ensure that you have a great experience. The tour also includes a traditional Azorean lunch and a liqueur tasting.
What to ExpectDuring the tour, you’ll discover many of São Miguel Island’s top attractions all in one day. You’ll see Sete Cidades, which is known for its bi-colored lagoons and offers breathtaking views. The Caldeira Velha hot springs are also a highlight of the tour, where you’ll have the opportunity to relax and enjoy the hot water. The Lagoa do Fogo is a stunning volcanic lake surrounded by mountains, and the view from the top is mesmerizing. You’ll also visit a local liqueur factory and learn how these traditional drinks are made on the island. This full-day tour will undoubtedly be one of the best highlights of your trip to Ponta Delgada.
What’s Included?The tour includes several amenities that make it stress-free and comfortable for travelers. These amenities include:
- Round-trip transfer from your Ponta Delgada hotel is included
- Local guide
- Entrance Fees- Caldeira Velha Hot Springs Thermal Bath.
Meeting and Pickup DetailsThe tour offers pick-up and drop-off at any hotel, hostel, or house situated inside the city. The guide will meet and greet you at the reception, where you’ll begin your journey through the beautiful landscapes of São Miguel Island.
Final ThoughtsThe Guided Tours Sete Cidades and Lagoa Do Fogo Full Day in Ponta Delgada is a must-do activity for nature enthusiasts. This tour covers several major attractions on the island, ensuring you make the most out of your trip. With a guided tour, you’ll have a stress-free day exploring the island’s beauty, thanks to the amenities and the expert guides who will accompany you along the way. Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to explore Ponta Delgada, book the tour here and make your trip an unforgettable experience!
Frequently Asked Questions About Ponta Delgada
What is Ponta Delgada?Ponta Delgada is the largest city on the island of Sao Miguel, which is a part of the Azores archipelago in Portugal. It is the administrative, cultural, and economic center of the Azores, offering tourists a range of attractions, including water sports, hiking, and historical and cultural landmarks.
What is the population of Ponta Delgada?According to the latest census from 2020, the population of Ponta Delgada is approximately 70,000 people.
What is the climate like in Ponta Delgada?Ponta Delgada has a moderate maritime climate, with mild temperatures throughout the year. The average annual temperature is around 18°C (64°F). The summer months (June to September) are the warmest, with temperatures ranging from 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F). Winters can be mild, with temperatures ranging from 10°C to 16°C (50°F to 61°F).
What are the main attractions in Ponta Delgada?There are many attractions in Ponta Delgada, including:
1. Ponta Delgada City GatesThese gates are one of the few remaining structures from the old city walls of Ponta Delgada. They were built in the 18th century to defend the city from pirates and privateers.
2. Forte de São BrásThis fort is located on a hill overlooking the city and was built in the 16th century to defend the harbor. Today, it houses the Azores Military Museum.
3. Sete CidadesThis is a twin lake situated in a volcanic crater. The crater is an incredible sight to behold and the surrounding area is perfect for hiking.
4. Parque UrbanoThis park is a great place for a relaxing walk or bike ride. It includes a duck pond, a playground, and plenty of green space.
5. Igreja do Santo CristoThis is a church located in the city center of Ponta Delgada. It is a major pilgrimage site and an important part of the city’s cultural heritage.
What are the best restaurants in Ponta Delgada?There are many great restaurants in Ponta Delgada, offering a range of dishes from traditional Azorean cuisine to international fare. Here are some suggestions:
1. A TascaThis restaurant serves up traditional Azorean dishes, including seafood and grilled meats. The interior is cozy and the staff is welcoming.
2. Rotas da Ilha VerdeThis restaurant offers a mix of Azorean and international cuisine. There are plenty of vegetarian options and gluten-free dishes on the menu.
3. Tasquinha VieiraThis cozy restaurant is known for its fresh seafood dishes, including octopus and grilled fish. The wine list is extensive and the prices are reasonable.
4. Taberna AçorThis is a modern restaurant that focuses on Azorean cuisine. The dishes are flavorful and creatively presented.
5. Boca de CenaThis is a trendy restaurant with a Mediterranean-inspired menu. The dishes are made with locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients.
How do I get to Ponta Delgada?There are direct flights to Ponta Delgada from major cities in Europe, including Lisbon, Porto, and London. Alternatively, you can take a ferry from Lisbon, Madeira, or the other islands in the Azores archipelago.
What is the best time of year to visit Ponta Delgada?The best time to visit Ponta Delgada depends on what activities you are interested in. The summer months (June to September) are the busiest and warmest, making it a good time for water sports and outdoor activities. However, the offseason (October to May) can be a great time to visit if you prefer fewer crowds and cooler temperatures for hiking and sightseeing.
What should I pack for a trip to Ponta Delgada?Ponta Delgada has a mild climate throughout the year, so pack light layers for both warm and cool weather. Comfortable walking shoes are essential, especially if you plan on hiking. Don’t forget to pack sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses for protection from the sun.
What is the official language of Ponta Delgada?The official language of Ponta Delgada is Portuguese. However, many people speak English and other languages, especially in the tourist areas.
What is the currency in Ponta Delgada?The currency in Ponta Delgada is the Euro. There are plenty of ATMs throughout the city and most restaurants and shops accept credit cards.
Is Ponta Delgada safe for tourists?Yes, Ponta Delgada is generally a safe city for travelers. However, as with any destination, it’s important to take safety precautions, such as staying aware of your surroundings, keeping valuables secure, and avoiding unlit or deserted areas at night.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Ponta DelgadaPonta Delgada, the largest city of the Azores archipelago, is a vibrant and charming place for tourists to spend time. It is located on the island of Sao Miguel, which is often referred to as the “Green Island.” Sao Miguel is known for its breathtaking landscapes, thermal hot springs, stunning coastlines, delicious cuisine, and rich history. Ponta Delgada has become a popular destination among tourists due to its unique features and attractions. Here are some tips for making the most of your time in Ponta Delgada.
1. Visit Lagoa do FogoLagoa do Fogo or Fire Lake is a stunning crater lake located in the center of Sao Miguel Island, about 20 km from Ponta Delgada. It is one of the most beautiful places to visit in the Azores. Visitors can hike to the lake, which takes about 2 hours, or drive up to the lookout point to admire the view. The lake is surrounded by lush greenery and offers a peaceful and scenic atmosphere. Make sure to bring a camera to capture the views.
2. Explore Sete CidadesSete Cidades is a picturesque village located on the west coast of Sao Miguel Island, about 30 km from Ponta Delgada. It is famous for its twin lakes, Lagoa Azul and Lagoa Verde (Blue and Green Lakes), which are divided by a narrow bridge. Visitors can enjoy hiking and biking trails, canoeing, and swimming in the natural pools around the lakes. The picturesque scenery is a must-see for any traveler to the Azores.
3. Try the Local CuisinePonta Delgada offers a unique culinary experience for tourists. The local cuisine is delicious and offers a mix of flavors and textures. Some of the must-try dishes include Cozido das Furnas, which is cooked for several hours in volcanic geysers, grilled fresh fish, and seafood, and Queijadas da Vila, a local pastry. There are many restaurants and cafes in Ponta Delgada that offer a variety of dishes suitable for all tastes and budgets.
4. Relax in the Thermal Hot SpringsThe Azores are famous for their thermal hot springs, which are known for their healing properties. Visitors can relax and soak in the hot springs, which are naturally heated by volcanic activity, and enjoy the stunning natural scenery. The most famous hot springs are in Furnas, which is located on the eastern side of Sao Miguel Island, about 40 km from Ponta Delgada.
5. Visit The Santo Cristo FestivalThe Santo Cristo Festival is one of the most popular events in Ponta Delgada. It takes place in May and attracts thousands of visitors every year. The festival is a religious celebration that includes a procession of the Holy Spirit, music, dancing, and traditional food. It is an excellent opportunity to experience the local culture and tradition.
6. Go Whale WatchingThe Azores are one of the best places in the world to go whale watching. Visitors can book a tour and enjoy watching different whales and dolphins as they swim and jump around the boat. The tours leave from Ponta Delgada harbor and last for about 3 hours. The most common whales to see are Sperm Whales and Blue Whales.
7. Visit The Gorreana Tea FactoryThe Azores are famous for their tea plantations, and the Gorreana Tea Factory is the oldest and the only tea plantation in Europe. Visitors can tour the factory and learn about the tea-making process, taste some of the tea, and purchase tea products to take home as souvenirs. The plantation is located on the north coast of Sao Miguel Island, about 20 km from Ponta Delgada.
Book Your Tour NowPonta Delgada is a beautiful and historic city that offers many activities for tourists. Visitors can explore nature, enjoy the local cuisine, attend festivals, and learn about the culture and history. With this guide, you can make the most of your time in Ponta Delgada and enjoy everything the Azores have to offer.
Table of Contents