How to Plan Your Auckland Day Tour to Hobbiton and Rotorua in MatamataIf you’re a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic fantasy novels, or the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, you’ll definitely want to make the journey to Matamata, New Zealand. Here, you can visit the picturesque Hobbiton Movie Set on a day tour from Auckland. This guided tour is an experience of a lifetime, and below we’ll explain how you can plan and book your Auckland Day Tour to Hobbiton and Rotorua in Matamata.
Overview of the TourThe tour starts with a picturesque journey across the stunning countryside from Auckland to Hobbiton Movie Set, located in a lush 1250-acre sheep and beef farm near Matamata. After experiencing the Hobbiton Movie Set, the tour continues with a coach ride to Rotorua to enjoy the geothermal wonders and Maori culture there.
ExperienceThe tour starts early in the morning and returns late in the evening, so be prepared for a long and exciting day full of adventures. Here are some of the experiences you will have:
Guided Tour of Hobbiton Movie SetThe guided tour of the famous Hobbiton Movie Set takes approximately two hours. During the tour, you will get to see over 44 hobbit holes, The Green Dragon Inn, and The Mill. You will also hear stories about the making of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, from the creation of the village of Hobbiton to the transformation of the farmland into a living, breathing piece of Middle Earth. You will feel like you’re in a magical world while looking at the Hobbit holes, and you can even try one of the doors to see if it suits a Hobbit’s height.
Banquet Feast Fit for a HobbitAfter the Hobbiton Movie Set tour, you will have a chance to indulge in a delicious buffet lunch at The Green Dragon Inn. This banquet feast is fit for a Hobbit and includes a variety of traditional hearty foods and drinks to please your senses. You will feel like a Hobbit enjoying a meal with friends in Middle Earth.
Coach Ride to RotoruaAfter the meal at The Green Dragon Inn, the tour continues with a coach ride to Rotorua. The view along the way is breathtaking, and the coach is well-equipped with wifi, ensuring you are connected throughout the journey. The fascinating culture and geothermal wonders of Rotorua await your visit.
Rotorua ExperienceUpon arrival, you will be taken to one of Rotorua’s top attractions. There, you will learn about the culture, see geysers and other geothermal wonders, and even have the opportunity to witness a traditional Maori cultural performance.
InclusionsHere’s what’s included in the tour package: – Guided Tour of Hobbiton Movie Set – Entry Fees – Full Buffet Lunch – Wifi Onboard Coaches
Not Suitable ForPlease note that the tour is not suitable for people with mobility impairments as there is a considerable amount of walking involved on uneven terrain.
How To Book Your Auckland Day Tour to Hobbiton and Rotorua?To book your Auckland Day Tour to Hobbiton and Rotorua, visit the following link and follow the guidance given: Book The Tour Here. After making your booking, you will receive a confirmation email with all the necessary information about your tour.
Book Your Tour NowVisiting the Hobbiton Movie Set and Rotorua while in New Zealand is a must-do adventure, especially for J.R.R. Tolkien fans. Plan your Auckland Day Tour to Hobbiton and Rotorua with ease, and experience a journey through stunning landscapes, magical worlds, and unique cultures. Don’t forget to book your tour in advance, and make sure to bring your camera along!
FAQ About MatamataMatamata is a small town located in Waikato, New Zealand, that is surrounded by farmland and rolling hills. Despite its small size, Matamata is well-known as the home of Hobbiton, the film set used in the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies. Visitors to Matamata can take tours of the Hobbiton site, as well as explore the town’s other attractions. Here are some frequently asked questions about Matamata to help you plan your trip.
1. What is the best time of year to visit Matamata?Matamata can be visited any time of year, but the best time to visit depends on your interests. The summer months (December to February) have the warmest weather and longest days, making outdoor activities more appealing. However, this is also the busiest time of year for tourists. If you want to avoid crowds, consider visiting in the shoulder seasons of spring (September to November) or autumn (March to May). Winter (June to August) can be cold and rainy, but the Hobbiton site is still open for tours.
2. Can I visit Hobbiton without taking a tour?No, visitors are only allowed on the Hobbiton site as part of an official tour. The tours are operated by Hobbiton Movie Set Tours and include a guided walk through the film set, as well as transportation to and from the site from the Shire’s Rest Cafe. Visitors are not allowed to wander around the site on their own.
3. How long does a Hobbiton tour take?The standard Hobbiton tour takes approximately two hours, including transportation to and from the site. Visitors are advised to arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled tour time to check in. There are also longer tours available that include a meal at the Green Dragon Inn or a nighttime tour of the site.
4. What other attractions are there in Matamata?In addition to Hobbiton, Matamata has several other attractions worth visiting. The Firth Tower Museum is a historic site that features a restored tower and several other heritage buildings. The Wairere Falls is also a popular attraction for hiking and picnicking. For animal lovers, the Otorohanga Kiwi House and Native Bird Park is a great place to see New Zealand’s native birds, including kiwi.
5. What are the best restaurants in Matamata?Matamata has a variety of restaurants and cafes that cater to different tastes and budgets. For casual dining, the Redoubt Bar and Eatery is a popular spot for burgers and pub food. For something more upscale, try the Hinuera Lodge Restaurant, which serves contemporary New Zealand cuisine. Other options include Thai food at Tarragon, pizza at Pizza House, and coffee and cakes at the Little Bluebird Cafe.
6. Where is the best place to stay in Matamata?Matamata has several options for accommodation, ranging from budget motels to luxury lodges. The Hobbit Motorlodge is a popular choice for visitors to the Hobbiton site, with rooms decorated in a Middle-earth style. Other budget options include the Matamata Backpackers and the Pedlars Motel. For something more luxurious, try the Okauia Springs Country Estate or the Kaimai Country Lodge.
7. How do I get to Matamata?Matamata is located approximately two hours’ drive south of Auckland and one hour’s drive east of Hamilton. Visitors can either drive themselves, take a bus from Auckland or Hamilton, or book a shuttle service. Some Hobbiton tours also include transportation from Rotorua.
Book Your Tour NowMatamata is a small town with big charm, thanks to its association with the Hobbiton film set. However, there is more to Matamata than just Hobbiton, with several other attractions and dining options to suit all tastes. Whether you’re a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan or just curious about life in rural New Zealand, Matamata is definitely worth a visit.
How to spend your time as a tourist in MatamataIf you are a fan of the “The Lord of the Rings” film franchise, you would not want to miss the chance to visit the beautiful town of Matamata, New Zealand. Matamata is where the set of “Hobbiton” was built, and it is a must-visit tourist destination for any fan of the franchise. However, Matamata has much more to offer than just the “Hobbiton” set. Here’s a guide for how to spend your time as a tourist in Matamata.
1. Visit the Hobbiton Movie SetThe Hobbiton Movie Set is undoubtedly the biggest attraction in Matamata. The set is located on a sheep farm and spans over 12 acres of land. Visitors can explore the hobbit holes, the Green Dragon Inn, and the mill. The set is also home to some of the permanent recreations of things seen in the movie, such as the Tooks’ farm and the Old Mill. If you’re a fan of the franchise, you can take a guided tour to learn more about the making of the films.
2. Explore the Firth Tower MuseumBuilt-in 1882, the Firth Tower Museum is a historical tower that keeps some of New Zealand’s rich history. The tower was constructed as a form of protection from possible wars that could occur between Maori and Pakeha settlers. Inside the tower, visitors can explore the museum exhibits and learn about various historic artifacts, photos of Matamata dating back to the 1800s, and a vintage agricultural machinery collection.
3. Relax at Wairere FallsWairere Falls, located about 10 km away from the town, is a must-visit destination for nature lovers. It is a three-hour hike up and down the waterfall, but the scenery and experience are worth it. The waterfalls are surrounded by lush greenery, and visitors can pack a picnic and relax while enjoying the sight and sound of the waterfall.
4. Visit Opal Hot Springs and Holiday ParkThe Opal Hot Springs and Holiday Park is the perfect destination if you want to relax and unwind after a long day of exploring. The park features naturally heated thermal pools that are perfect for relaxing your muscles. While there, you can also book a massage or sauna appointment to get the ultimate relaxation experience.
5. Explore the Matamata Sculpture TrailIf you enjoy art and unique sculptures, be sure to check out the Matamata Sculpture Trail. The trail features ten sculptures created by various artists. Each sculpture has an interesting story and adds to the beauty of the trail.
6. Visit the Wairere Falls WineryWairere Falls Winery is a family-owned winery that is set amid beautiful surroundings. Visitors can taste some of the winery’s produce, including their specialty fruit wines. You can also indulge in a selection of cheese, cured meats, and chocolates while taking in the panoramic view of the Kaimai Ranges.
7. Shop at the Artisan MarketFinally, be sure to check out the Artisan Market, which is open every Saturday. You can shop for unique souvenirs, artisanal wares, and fresh produce. The market also offers a range of other interesting items like pottery, homemade chocolates, and organic skincare products.
Book Your Tour NowMatamata, New Zealand, offers tourists a range of activities that cater to all types of interests. From the Hobbiton Movie Set, the Firth Tower Museum, Wairere Falls, Opal Hot Springs and Holiday Park, Matamata Sculpture Trail, Wairere Falls Winery, to the Artisan Market, there’s something for everyone. So, what are you waiting for? Plan your next trip to Matamata and have an unforgettable experience.
Table of Contents