St. Augustine, Florida, is a city rich in history and culture, with a plethora of museums to explore. Whether you’re interested in art, architecture, or the city’s colonial past, there’s a museum in St. Augustine that will pique your interest. In this article, we’ll delve into some of the best museums the city has to offer, from the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States to a museum entirely devoted to pirates. So pack your bags and grab your camera, because it’s time for a tour of the best museums in St. Augustine, Florida.
The 2 Best Fun Art Museums in St Augustine Florida
- St Augustine Trolley Bus Museums Combo Package
- St Augustine Trolley Tour St Augustine History Museum
The 2 Best Fun Art Museums in St Augustine Florida
1. St Augustine Trolley Bus Museums Combo Package
With the St Augustine Trolley Bus Museums Combo Package, you can explore the rich history of this city with ease. This package offers entrance to three unique attractions. Begin your day at the Old Store Museum and meet the snake oil salesmen of the past. Next, head to the Old Jail, where you can experience maximum security and see the men’s and women’s cells up close. Finally, discover over 400 years of history at the St. Augustine History Museum.
This package also includes a trolley tour with more than 100 points of interest for you to visit at your leisure. Experience “transportainment” as you soak up the stunning architecture and landmarks of this remarkable city. With something for everyone in the family, the St Augustine Trolley Bus Museums Combo Package is a great way to spend a fun day out.
2. St Augustine Trolley Tour St Augustine History Museum
See historic St. Augustine through a guided hop-on hop-off trolley tour that includes admission to the St. Augustine History Museum. Avoid expensive parking and city traffic as you explore the oldest continuously populated city in the US. Listen to your conductors as they narrate the tour and provide an interesting mix of trivia and stories. Explore popular sights like Castillo de San Marcos and the Mission of Nombre de Dios. Choose between a 1-day or 2-day hop-on hop-off trolley tour and have the opportunity to drink from Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth. The tour includes a narrated tour, hotel pickup and drop-off, as well as the 1 or 2-day hop-on hop-off trolley ticket depending on the option selected. Food, drinks, and tips are not included.
The Frequently Asked Questions About Museums of St. Augustine FloridaWhether you’re a resident of St. Augustine or planning to visit the city, there’s every reason you should check out the museums. They’re a great way to learn about the city’s rich history and culture. However, before visiting them, you may have some questions in mind. In this blog post, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the museums of St. Augustine, Florida.
1. What are the most popular museums in St. Augustine, Florida?St. Augustine, Florida is home to a rich cultural heritage. There are several museums in the city, and some of the most popular ones include:
- The Lightner Museum
- The St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum
- The St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum
- The Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse
- The Spanish Military Hospital Museum
- The St. Augustine History Museum
2. What are the operating hours for the museums in St. Augustine?The operating hours for the museums in St. Augustine vary. However, most of them open at 9:00 am and close at 5:00 pm. Some museums may have different operating hours during the holidays, so it’s important to check their websites for the most updated information.
3. Are there any coupons or discounts available for tickets to the museums?Yes, many museums in St. Augustine offer discounts or coupons. Some of the ways you can save money on museum tickets include:
- Purchasing tickets online instead of at the door
- Using discount codes from local visitor guides or magazines
- Group discounts for large parties or field trips
- Military or senior discounts
4. Are guided tours available for the museums in St. Augustine?Yes, most museums in St. Augustine offer guided tours, and they are a great way to learn about the history and culture of the city. Some tours may be included in the price of admission, while others may require an additional fee. You can check the museum’s website for information on guided tours.
5. What exhibits are currently on display at the museums in St. Augustine?The specific exhibits on display at each museum in St. Augustine may change over time. However, some exhibits that you can typically find at the most popular museums in the city include:
- The Lightner Museum: Art, antiques, and memorabilia from the Gilded Age
- The St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum: Artifacts and history of pirates and piracy in St. Augustine and the Caribbean
- The St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum: History of the lighthouse and shipwrecks, artifacts and exhibits about maritime history
- The Castillo de San Marcos National Monument: History of the fort and the fortress’s role in St. Augustine history
- The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse: A glimpse into the classroom of the 1700s and 1800s
- The Spanish Military Hospital Museum: History of medical practices during the Spanish colonial period in St. Augustine
- The St. Augustine History Museum: Exhibits and artifacts showcasing the city’s rich and diverse history
6. How long should I plan to spend at each museum in St. Augustine?The amount of time you should spend at each museum in St. Augustine will vary depending on the museum and your interests. However, most museums recommend planning to spend at least an hour or two to fully explore the exhibits and learn about the history and culture of the city.
7. Can I bring my kids to the museums in St. Augustine?Yes, most of the museums in St. Augustine are kid-friendly and have exhibits and activities geared towards children. Some museums, like the St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum and the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse, are especially popular with kids.
8. Is photography allowed inside the museums in St. Augustine?The photography policies of each museum in St. Augustine may vary. However, in general, photography is allowed in most areas of the museums. Flash photography may be prohibited in some areas, so it’s best to check with the staff if you’re unsure.
9. Are the museums in St. Augustine wheelchair accessible?Most of the museums in St. Augustine are wheelchair accessible, and the staff is happy to assist visitors with special needs. However, some areas of the museums, such as historic buildings or narrow passages, may not be accessible. It’s best to contact the museum directly to inquire about accessibility if you have special needs.
10. Can I bring food or drinks into the museums in St. Augustine?No, food and drinks are generally not allowed inside the museums in St. Augustine. However, some museums may have a designated area for eating and drinking outside of the exhibit areas.
How to Find the Best Museums in St. Augustine, FloridaSt. Augustine, Florida, is a city rich in history, making it a hub for museum enthusiasts. With so many different museums to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide which one to visit. In this guide, we’ll break down the steps to help you find the best museums in St. Augustine.
1. Determine Your InterestsThe first step in finding the best museums in St. Augustine is to determine your interests. Do you enjoy art, science, history, or something else? Knowing what types of exhibits or collections you’re interested in can help you narrow down your search.
2. Do Your ResearchResearching different museums in St. Augustine is the next step. The best place to start is by visiting the Visit St. Augustine website or the Visitor Center, which provides updated information about museums, events and activities in St. Augustine. You can also do a quick Google search or visit online travel forums to find recommendations from other travelers.
3. Read ReviewsReading reviews is an excellent way to get an idea of what to expect when visiting a museum. Websites, such as TripAdvisor and Yelp, can give insight into other visitors’ experiences, amke sure to look at the most recent reviews, as the facilities or exhibitions may have changed.
4. Check Exhibitions and ActivitiesCheck the exhibitions and activities available at each museum you’re interested in. Exhibitions can vary from temporary, rotating shows to permanent exhibits. Make sure the museum has exhibits and activities that appeal to your interests.
5. Consider Location and AccessibilityConsider the location and accessibility of each museum. Before you decide which museum(s) to visit, think about how far it is from your base, as well as how much time and effort it will take to get there. Also check the distance between museums – you don’t want to spend too much time traveling between them.
6. Look for Deals and DiscountsFinally, look for deals and discounts to save money. Check the museums’ websites for discounts or get coupons from the Visitor Center or online. Travel off-season for lower rates, and also consider getting a combo ticket, which will save you money if you plan to visit multiple museums.
7. The Best Museums in St. Augustine, FloridaNow that you know how to find the best museums in St. Augustine, here are some top picks for you to consider.
The Mint MuseumThe Mint Museum has an extensive coin collection which was named as one of the top ten best in the world. Exhibits include rare coins from ancient Greece and Rome, as well as a history of money from the earliest human societies to coins and currency around the world today.
The Lightner MuseumLocated in the heart of downtown, The Lightner Museum offers collections of 19th-century fine art, decorative art, and antique furnishings. With over 4,000 objects in the collection, the museum offers a diverse range of exhibits that cover natural science, architecture, social history and fine and decorative arts.
The St. Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime MuseumThe St. Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime Museum is a must-see for all maritime history enthusiasts. The museum contains exhibits covering topics such as the history of the lighthouse, shipwrecks off the St. Augustine coast, and changing maritime technology. Visitors can also climb to the top of the lighthouse for a stunning view of the city and ocean.
The Oldest House Museum ComplexFor a closer look at the history of St. Augustine, visit the Oldest House Museum Complex. The museum showcases more than 400 years of St. Augustine’s rich history with a guided tour that includes the historic Tolomato Cemetery.
The Ximenez-Fatio House MuseumThe Ximenez-Fatio House Museum is a unique museum that offers an up-close and personal look into the lives of women living in St. Augustine in the early 1800s. This museum features an extensive collection of artifacts and period pieces, and visitors can enjoy period living re-enactments.
ConclusionFinding the best museums in St. Augustine is all about knowing your interests, doing your research, and checking exhibitions, accessibility, and location. Make sure to read reviews and look for deals to save money, and don’t forget to visit the museums on our top picks list.
Table of Contents