Welcome to Lombok, an Indonesian island that will take your breath away with its natural beauty, mesmerizing coastline, and stunning waterfalls. From striking Mount Rinjani to pristine beaches and coral reefs, Lombok is a treasure trove of attractions and exciting activities that cater to every taste and preference. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing day on the beach, a thrilling trek to a volcano, or an exploration of vibrant local culture, Lombok has it all. In this post, we’ll showcase some of the top attractions and things to do in Lombok that will make your trip an unforgettable experience. So, let’s dive in and discover the wonders of this amazing island!
The 3 Best Fun Activities To Do In Lombok
- Lombok Northern Excursion Tribe and Waterfall Tours
- Half Day Mataram City Tour
- Lombok City Tour Private Temple Tour With Lunch
The 3 Best Fun Activities To Do In Lombok
1. Lombok Northern Excursion Tribe and Waterfall Tours
Immerse yourself in the north of Lombok on a full-day excursion that covers half of the island. Visit north east and central Lombok, and discover traditional Sasak houses, the old Bayan mosque, an Indonesian traditional market, the 18th-century Narmada Summer Palace and Royal Garden, and much more. Enjoy the air and views from Sembalun Pusuk Pass, located 1200 meters above sea level, and visit Senaru Sasak tribal village. Don’t miss the chance to discover the impressive Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep waterfalls. Your guide will include sites of particular interest to you, making this excursion an unforgettable experience.
2. Half Day Mataram City Tour
Explore the capital of Lombok and see three top cultural highlights on this 4-hour guided tour of Mataram. Enjoy personalized attention from the knowledgeable guide and travel comfortably in an air-conditioned vehicle. Visit Mayura Water Palace, an important site for Hindu pilgrims, and admire the unique tiers of Meru Temple, the second largest Hindu monument on the island. Explore Narmada Park, home to exotic flora and fauna, and take a leisurely stroll around the pristine green space. Pickup and drop-off at your Mataram hotel are included for your convenience. Don’t miss the chance to experience Lombok’s cultural heritage on this small-group tour, limited to 15 people.
3. Lombok City Tour Private Temple Tour With Lunch
The Lombok City Tour Private Temple Tour With Lunch is a full-day private tour designed to take you on an exciting cultural journey across Lombok. You’ll visit various attractions such as temples, parks, and craft centers, where you’ll receive expert-guided insights into Lombok’s distinctive culture and rich history. With personalized attention from your local guide and private transportation, you’ll have ample opportunity to ask questions and discover the unique cultural heritage of Lombok. Your itinerary includes highlights such as Mayura Park, Lingsar Temple, and more. Lunch and admission fees are included, and pickup is available from the Mataram or Senggigi areas. Please note that confirmation is subject to availability and the tour is not wheelchair accessible.
FAQs About Lombok for Incoming TouristsAre you planning to visit the beautiful island of Lombok soon? Maybe you’ve already booked your trip and are looking for some useful information to make the most of your time there. In either case, we’ve got you covered with the most frequently asked questions about Lombok answered in this post.
1. Where is Lombok located?Lombok is a small island located in the West Nusa Tenggara province of Indonesia. It is situated to the east of Bali and to the west of Sumbawa island. Lombok is part of the Lesser Sunda Islands chain, which stretches from Bali in the west to Timor in the east.
2. What is the best time to visit Lombok?The dry season in Lombok runs from May to September, making it the best time to visit the island when you can experience pleasant weather and sunshine. However, if you plan to visit during this time, be sure to book your accommodations and tours well in advance as this is the high season and can get crowded. The rainy season runs from November to April and during this time, you can expect much heavier rainfalls, storms, and high tides, particularly in low-lying areas.
3. What are the must-see attractions in Lombok?Lombok is known for its natural beauty and stunning beaches. Some of the top attractions on the island include:
A. Mount Rinjani
It is a popular hiking spot located in the north of Lombok. You can experience stunning views of the crater lake and surrounding valleys from the top of the mountain.
B. Gili Islands
The Gili Islands are a group of three small islands located off the coast of Lombok. They are known for their white sandy beaches, turquoise waters, and vibrant marine life. You can also enjoy activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, and island-hopping here.
C. Tanjung Aan Beach
This beach is famous for its crescent-shaped white sand beach and crystal clear water. It is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and taking in the views.
D. Sasak Village
This traditional village located in the south of Lombok is an excellent place to learn about the local Sasak culture and way of life. You can see the traditional houses and watch performances of traditional Sasak dances.
4. How is the food in Lombok?Lombok is known for its delicious seafood dishes, which are readily available at most restaurants and local markets. You should also try the local specialty, Ayam Taliwang, which is a spicy grilled chicken dish served with rice and vegetables. Vegetarians and vegans will find that there are plenty of options for them too, such as nasi goreng (fried rice) and gado-gado (vegetable salad with peanut sauce).
5. How to get around Lombok?Lombok has a well-connected transport network with plenty of options available for getting around the island. You can rent a car or a motorbike if you want to explore the island independently. Alternatively, you can hire a driver or join a guided tour for a hassle-free and convenient way of seeing the sights.
6. Where to stay in Lombok?Lombok has a variety of accommodations to suit all budgets, ranging from luxury resorts to budget guesthouses. The most popular areas to stay are in the coastal towns of Senggigi, Kuta, and Mataram, and the Gili Islands. If you want to experience a more traditional way of life, you can also stay in a homestay or a guesthouse in rural areas.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Lombok
If you are looking for an alternative to Bali, then Lombok is definitely worth considering. This island, situated next to Bali, offers beautiful beaches, scenic landscapes, serene waterfalls and impressive volcanic mountains. Here is how to spend your time in Lombok as a tourist:
1. Explore the Beaches
The beautiful beaches of Lombok are one of the main reasons to visit this island. Some of the most popular beaches include Kuta Beach, Senggigi Beach, and Tangsi Beach. You can enjoy swimming, snorkeling or even surfing in these beaches. If you are looking for a more secluded beach, Selong Belanak is a great option. It’s a long beautiful white sandy beach with crystal clear water.
2. Hike Mount Rinjani
Mount Rinjani is a 3,726-meter-high volcano and one of the top attractions in Lombok. You can hike up to the summit of this volcano which takes three days and is only possible with the help of a licensed guide. The scenery along the way, including waterfalls and hot springs, is absolutely stunning.
3. Visit the Waterfalls
Lombok is home to many beautiful waterfalls. Among them, the most famous ones are Tiu Kelep Waterfall, Sendang Gile Waterfall, and Benang Stokel Waterfall. Each of these waterfalls is unique and offers a relaxing atmosphere where you can enjoy the natural beauty of the island.
4. Explore the Gili Islands
The Gili Islands, which consist of Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air, are located not far from Lombok. These three islands are known for their turquoise water and colorful corals which make them an ideal spot for snorkeling and diving. You can take a one-hour boat ride from Lombok to any of these islands to enjoy their pristine beaches and stunning scenery.
5. Experience the Traditional Sasak Culture
The Sasak people are the indigenous people of Lombok, and they have a rich culture and tradition that is worth experiencing. There are many Sasak villages in the island where you can learn about their way of life, their traditional dances, and crafts. Sukarara Village is one of the most popular Sasak villages where you can observe the weaving of traditional fabric called Songket.
6. Taste the Local Cuisine
Lombok has a unique cuisine that reflects its culture and geography. Some of the must-try dishes include Ayam Taliwang, which is a delicious grilled chicken marinated in chili sauce, Bebalung, which is a spicy beef soup, and Plecing Kangkung, a spicy salad made with local water spinach.
7. Relax in a Spa
Lombok has many spas that offer wellness and relaxation services. You can choose to get a massage, facial, or body treatment in one of these spas. The atmosphere is peaceful and serene, and you will feel like you are in a different world.
Book Your Tour Now
Lombok is a paradise for nature lovers and adventurers. You can enjoy its beautiful beaches, hike its volcanoes, and explore its culture and tradition. With so much to see and do, Lombok is definitely worth adding to your travel list.
Remember to always respect the local culture and nature when you are in Lombok. You can also hire local guides for your activities to support the local community and gain a more authentic experience.
Table of Contents