Welcome to Kennebunkport, Maine – a quaint coastal town known for its stunning beaches, picturesque landscapes, and charming New England architecture. Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a returning traveler, this scenic destination has plenty to offer for all ages and interests. From relaxing on the beach to exploring the town’s rich history, there are countless ways to enjoy your time in Kennebunkport. In this post, we’ll be sharing a comprehensive guide to the best attractions and things to do in Kennebunkport, so you can make the most of your visit to this beautiful seaside paradise.
The 2 Best Fun Activities to Do in Kennebunkport
The 2 Best Fun Activities to Do in Kennebunkport
1. Kennebunkport 2 Hour Historical Walking Tour
Step into the quiet neighborhoods of the first residents during this 2-hour guided walking tour through the historic district of Kennebunkport Maine. Learn from your local guide about the interesting history of the town as well as amusing anecdotes from the days of being a flourishing shipbuilding town.
The tour begins at the Dock Square and will immediately take you back in time to the thriving shipbuilding days of Kennebunkport Maine. Stroll along Maine Street and weave your way through side streets seeing the homes of the shipbuilders and merchants of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Your expert guide will tell you the fascinating history fun stories and interesting facts of the area.
Learn how “Poor Arundel” as it was known in 1743 became one of the wealthiest towns in the area. Finish your walking tour with a sweet treat in the heart of Kennebunkport Maine after enjoying the picturesque coastal sights. This 2-hour Kennebunkport Historical Walking Tour offers a unique experience for both visitors and locals alike that will leave you with a deep appreciation and understanding of the town’s history and charm.
2. Kennebunkport Maine Lunchtime Culinary Walking Tour
Discover the culinary delights of Kennebunkport, Maine, during a 2.5-hour guided walking tour. This tour will take you on a leisurely stroll of half a mile from Dock Square to the lower village, where you’ll taste local flavors that represent what it means to be from Maine.
Along the way, you’ll visit with shopkeepers and food artisans who will introduce you to regional delicacies such as chowder, lobster, and craft beer. All of the food is regionally sourced and created by local talent.
While tasting the local specialties, you’ll enjoy beautiful waterfront sights and learn about the area’s rich history, which has been home to those who make their living on the sea for centuries. The friendly and knowledgeable guide will take you to several venues to sip, taste, and learn about the culinary scene that has recently attracted visitors with nationally renowned chefs, gourmet catering companies, craft brewers, and award-winning food artisans.
Join the Kennebunkport Maine Lunchtime Culinary Walking Tour to explore the region’s culinary scene and learn about its fascinating history.
Frequently Asked Questions about KennebunkportAs one of Maine’s top destinations, Kennebunkport is a unique coastal town that has attracted visitors from all over the world. It’s a historic town with plenty of attractions, stunning natural beauty, and endless outdoor activities. If you’re planning to visit Kennebunkport, you’re likely to have questions about what to do, how to get around, and where to eat. In this post, we’ve compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about Kennebunkport to help you plan your trip.
1. What are the best things to do in Kennebunkport?Kennebunkport is a popular destination for many reasons. Visitors come for the beaches, historic landmarks, shopping, and outdoor activities. Here are some of the best things to do in Kennebunkport:
- Visit the sandy beaches like Gooch’s Beach, Goose Rocks Beach, or Kennebunk Beach.
- Check out some of the historic landmarks like the White Columns, The Brick Store Museum, and the Seashore Trolley Museum.
- Take a stroll along Ocean Avenue to view stunning mansions, stunning landscapes, and picturesque views of the Maine coastline.
- Go shopping in Dock Square, a hub for art galleries, clothing boutiques, and souvenir shops.
- Take a sunset sail or whale watching excursion.
- Hike the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge or the Eastern Trail.
2. What’s the weather like in Kennebunkport?Kennebunkport is a coastal town, so it’s important to pack for the weather. In the summer months, temperatures range from 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit, with plenty of sunshine and occasional breezes. In the fall, temperatures begin to drop, with highs in the 50s and 60s. Winters are cold and snowy, with temperatures in the teens and 20s, but nothing compared to the colder regions of Northern Maine. Spring is a great time to visit, with temperatures in the 50s and 60s and beautiful blossoms and areas of wildlife to view throughout the surrounding area.
3. What are the best restaurants in Kennebunkport?Kennebunkport is a culinary hub for fresh seafood, Maine lobsters, and other local delicacies. Some of the top restaurants in the area include:
- The White Barn Inn: This world-class establishment offers fine dining and an extensive wine list. The food pairings are impeccable, from mouth-watering ice cream and milkshakes to hearty and rich main courses.
- Tides Beach Club: With direct beach access and a stunning white-columned patio, the Tides Beach Club offers a casual atmosphere with incredible food, martinis and attentive service.
- Alisson’s Restaurant: Alisson’s is a casual family-friendly establishment that serves classic Maine fare like clam chowder, lobster rolls, and fried seafood platters. And similar to White Barn Inn, they offer a great selection of beers and cocktails.
- The Clam Shack: This local institution serves up the best lobster rolls in Kennebunkport, made with fresh Maine lobster and served in a toasted soft bun. For a true Maine experience, pair it with a side of fried clams and views of the Kennebunk River.
4. How do I get around Kennebunkport?Kennebunkport has a few options for getting around. There’s plenty of parking available in town, so you can always choose to drive. Additionally, public transit buses and seasonal trolleys are available to tourism. If you want to enjoy the beautiful views and fresh air, renting bicycles or walking can be a great way to explore the town at your leisure.
5. Where’s the best place to stay in Kennebunkport?Kennebunkport has a wide range of accommodations to suit all preferences and budgets. Some of the most popular places to stay include boutique hotels, resorts, family owned bed and breakfasts, and private vacation rentals. Some of the best places to stay in Kennebunkport include:
- The Colony Hotel: This classic New England hotel boasts stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean with a clean, classic style and all the amenities you could desire.
- Hidden Pond Resort & Tree Spa: With a number of private, whimsical cabins and an award-winning spa, this resort is perfect for a luxurious getaway.
- Green Heron Inn: Located in the heart of Kennebunkport, this charming bed and breakfast is within walking distance of all the major attractions in town.
- Private Vacation Rentals: With plenty of beachfront homes, seaside cottages, and cozy apartments, there’s no shortage of private vacation rentals in Kennebunkport.