Hangzhou, a beautiful city located in the Zhejiang Province of China, is known for its stunning natural scenery, rich history, and cultural heritage. It is a popular destination among both locals and tourists alike, offering a blend of traditional Chinese culture and modern city life. With so much to explore and discover, it’s no wonder Hangzhou is often referred to as China’s “Heaven on Earth”. In this post, we’ll take a look at some of the best attractions and things to do in Hangzhou, providing you with a comprehensive guide to make the most out of your trip to this charming city.
The 5 Best Family Activities in Hangzhou
- Private Tour Ultimate Hangzhou Sightseeing Tour
- Flexible Hangzhou Private Day Tour With Lunch
- Half Day Hangzhou Private Customized Tour With Optional Lunch or Dinner
- Half Day Flexible Private Hangzhou Highlight Tour
- Impression West Lake Show Ticket
The 5 Best Family Activities in Hangzhou
1. Private Tour Ultimate Hangzhou Sightseeing Tour
Experience the best of Hangzhou’s UNESCO-listed landscapes on a fully customizable private full-day sightseeing tour, complete with round-trip transport. Admire the stunning vistas of the mist-shrouded West Lake, stroll around the Flower Harbor Park, and sample the famous Dragon Well tea at the Meijiawu Tea Village. Learn about the city’s history and culture with informative insights from your private English-speaking tour guide. Visit the Lingyin Temple, explore the Song Dynasty Imperial Street for embroidered silk, and enjoy lunch at a local family home or restaurant (own expense). This tour has it all, ensuring a memorable experience for travelers looking to get the most out of their time in Hangzhou.
2. Flexible Hangzhou Private Day Tour With Lunch
Take a private tour of Hangzhou and discover its highlights on this flexible day tour. You can choose your preferred departure time and depart directly from your hotel. The tour allows you to explore the UNESCO-listed West Lake, indulge in a delectable farm lunch at Longjing Tea Plantation, tour the ancient Lingyin Buddist Temple complex, stroll through the vibrant Hefang Street, and more (admissions fees are at your own expense). This personalized tour includes a private guide, a private air-conditioned comfortable car, lunch, gratuities, and entrance fees. Pickup is available at several locations, including Hangzhou Railway Station and Hangzhou East Railway Station (let the tour operator know your train details at the special requirement section).
3. Half Day Hangzhou Private Customized Tour With Optional Lunch or Dinner
Explore the ancient city of Hangzhou on this private customizable excursion. Create an itinerary according to your interests and visit top attractions like Lingyin Temple, Longjing Tea Garden, and West Lake. Throughout the tour, a knowledgeable guide in English, Mandarin Chinese or German will share with you interesting details about Hangzhou’s rich history and culture. You will enjoy a comfortable ride in a car with an experienced driver and convenient hotel pickup and drop-off. As an optional add-on, you can savor a delicious local lunch or dinner if the corresponding tour option is booked. The tour includes entrance fees to the selected sites and gratuities. With limited time, you’ll make the most of your visit to Hangzhou by experiencing its fascinating heritage through the eyes of a local guide.
4. Half Day Flexible Private Hangzhou Highlight Tour
Don’t waste your time visiting places that don’t interest you on your visit to Hangzhou. Customize your own tour and choose the few sights and attractions that appeal to you the most with a private guide. You can learn about Chinese history and culture while visiting places like West Lake, Lingyin Temple, or the National Tea Museum, among others. With a private air-conditioned car, hotel or railway station pick up and drop off included, you’ll make the most out of your time in Hangzhou. Relax and enjoy the personalized attention of your private guide. Entrance fees and gratuities are also included in your tour.
5. Impression West Lake Show Ticket
Looking for a mesmerizing experience in Hangzhou? Look no further and book your tickets for the Impression West Lake Show. This tour promises an unforgettable evening, starting at 7:40 PM with pickup and transportation, followed by admission to the 杭州西湖岳湖景区.
Upon confirmation of your booking at the time of checkout, you will receive an Enduring Memories of Hangzhou ticket, which is included in the package. The tour is wheelchair and stroller accessible, and infant seats are available.
Please note that once booked, this experience cannot be refunded or changed for any reason. Make sure to cancel or amend your booking before checking out if necessary.
See the beauty of Hangzhou come to life in this one-of-a-kind show. Book your tickets now, and get ready for a night to remember!
Frequently Asked Questions About Hangzhou – Your Ultimate Travel GuideHangzhou is a nature city that has offered something for everyone. And with over 1,200 years of history, the city is a perfect mix of traditional Chinese culture with modernity. However, like every other place in the world, there are specific questions that tourists tend to ask when visiting Hangzhou. In this article, we will answer the most common questions about Hangzhou, including transportation, what to see, where to eat and stay, and much more.
1. What is the best time to visit Hangzhou?Hangzhou is an all-season travel destination. Tourists simply need to understand what to expect from different times of the year. In the spring, from March to May, it is considered the most enjoyable time to visit Hangzhou with temperatures ranging from 13°C to 23°C. During this time, the weather is mild, and the scenery is beautiful with the cherry blossoms blooming around the West Lake.Summer lasts from June to August, with an average temperature of around 28°C. These months are the warmest, with occasional afternoon showers. As such, the scenery of Hangzhou in summer is rather different from the rest of the year, with green trees, colorful flowers, and more blue skies.Autumn is also a great time to visit Hangzhou, running from September to November. The temperature ranges from 15°C to 26°C, and the scenery is picturesque due to the autumn colors. The autumn scenery of Hangzhou is undoubtedly one of the city’s most fantastic attractions.Finally, winter lasts from December to February with temperatures ranging from -1°C to 10°C. But, if you don’t mind the cold, you can visit during the winter season and appreciate the beauty of snow and the local winter festivals.
2. What is the best way to get around Hangzhou?When it comes to transportation, there are several transportation options for traveling within Hangzhou, depending on your preference and budget. The Hangzhou Metro is the most convenient and affordable way to travel around the city. It is a reliable transportation option with four lines and fares ranging between ¥2 to ¥9 based on the distance traveled. Taxis are also a great option for getting around Hangzhou. They are inexpensive compared to taxis in other cities, with a minimum fare of ¥11 for the first 3 kilometers and ¥2.5 per kilometer thereafter.Tourists can also use Hangzhou’s public bus system. The bus fare is ¥2/ride, and there are over 400 bus routes extending to nearly every part of Hangzhou.
3. What are the must-visit destinations in Hangzhou?Hangzhou boasts several must-visit destinations for tourists. Here are our top picks:
i. West LakeThe West Lake is a famous freshwater lake located in the heart of Hangzhou. It is one of the city’s most picturesque sites, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The lake offers stunning natural scenery, ancient temples, historic pavilions, gardens, and numerous public parks. A visit to Hangzhou is incomplete if you don’t pay a visit to the West Lake.
ii. Xixi National Wetland ParkThe Xixi National Wetland Park is a natural wetland located in Hangzhou. This park covers an area of more than 10 square kilometers, filled with stunning natural scenery and a wide range of fauna and flora. This wetland park is a great place to relax and enjoy nature. Visitors can rent a boat or take a walk on one of the many winding paths to get a better view of the park.
iii. Lingyin TempleThe Lingyin Temple is one of the most famous Buddhist temples in China, located in the northwest of Hangzhou. It is one of the oldest and largest temples in the region, dating back over 1,600 years. The temple has a rich history that explains how the temple became one of the most significant centers of Buddhism in China. Visitors to the temple can see several caves, carvings, and statues while enjoying the peace and tranquility of this majestic temple.
4. What is the local cuisine in Hangzhou?Hangzhou has many delicious traditional dishes from flavorsome noodle soups, crispy dumplings to tasty meat dishes. Here are some dishes you should try while in Hangzhou:
i. Dongpo PorkDongpo Pork is a famous braised pork dish made by simmering pork belly meat in wine, soy sauce, ginger, and spring onions. The result is a melt-in-your-mouth pork belly with a deliciously sweet and savory sauce.
ii. West Lake Fish in Sweet Sour SourceWest Lake Fish in Sweet Sour Source is one of Hangzhou’s most famous dishes, made using the fresh catch from the West Lake. The fish is pan-fried and accompanied by a delicious sweet and sour sauce made of vinegar and sugar.
iii. Beggar’s ChickenBeggar’s Chicken is a whole chicken baked within a lotus leaf that has been filled with herbs, spices, and sometimes peanuts. The chicken is baked over smoking hot charcoal until the chicken is tender and the juices have blended with the herbs and spices to develop a unique flavor.
5. What are some good accommodations in Hangzhou?Hangzhou has plenty of accommodation options ranging from hostels to luxury hotels. Here are a few excellent accommodations to consider:
i. Midtown Shangri-La HangzhouThe Midtown Shangri-La Hangzhou is a top-rated five-star hotel located in the central shopping district of Hangzhou. It offers luxurious rooms and suites equipped with modern amenities, and it’s situated near Hangzhou’s most famous attractions.
ii. Hangzhou Cottage InnHangzhou Cottage Inn is a popular boutique hotel located in the old street district of Hangzhou. It offers a traditional Chinese experience with well-appointed and comfortable rooms.
iii. Hangzhou Touran Backpack HostelThe Hangzhou Touran Backpack Hostel is a friendly and cozy hostel located in the heart of Hangzhou. It offers affordable accommodation options, including dormitory rooms and private rooms.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Hangzhou
Hangzhou is a beautiful city in the Zhejiang Province of China. This city is a perfect blend of traditions and modernity, and it is known for its scenic beauty, tea plantations, and West Lake. If you’re planning to travel to Hangzhou, you’ll have a lot to explore and enjoy. In this guide, we’ll discuss some things you can do and see during your visit to Hangzhou.
Explore West Lake
West Lake is a beautiful lake located at the center of Hangzhou city. This lake covers an area of 6.39 square kilometers and is surrounded by mountains and lush greenery. It is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike.
You can enjoy a boat ride to explore the lake or walk along the scenic paths. You can also visit some of the famous landmarks around the lake, such as Leifeng Pagoda, Su Causeway, and Broken Bridge. The best time to visit West Lake is in the morning when it is quieter and less crowded. You can spend a full day exploring the lake and its surroundings.
Visit the Tea Plantations
Hangzhou is known for its tea, and you can’t leave the city without visiting some of its famous tea plantations. The most popular tea plantation in Hangzhou is Longjing Tea Plantation, also known as Dragon Well Tea Plantation. Here you can witness the tea-making process, learn about the different types of tea, and enjoy a cup of freshly brewed tea.
Longjing Tea Plantation is located in the West Lake area and is easily accessible by taxi or public transport. You can spend a few hours here and return with some freshly brewed tea as a souvenir.
Discover the Lingyin Temple
The Lingyin Temple is one of the most famous Buddhist temples in China and is located in Hangzhou city. This temple has a history of more than 1,600 years and is known for its ancient architecture, beautiful statues, and tranquil surroundings.
You can spend a few hours exploring the temple and its surroundings, visiting the different halls and pavilions. You can also take a walk along the mountain paths and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The temple is easily accessible by bus or taxi.
Explore the Wuzhen Water Town
If you want to experience some traditional Chinese culture, then you must visit the Wuzhen Water Town. This town is located about an hour’s drive from Hangzhou and is a popular destination for tourists.
The town is built around canals, and you can take a boat ride to explore the narrow lanes and ancient buildings. You can also visit some of the famous landmarks such as the Hundred Beds Museum and the Ancient Bed Museum. You can spend a full day exploring the town and enjoying some traditional Chinese food.
Take a Stroll on Hefang Street
If you’re interested in shopping, then you can’t miss a visit to Hefang Street. This is an ancient street located in the heart of Hangzhou city and is full of shops selling Chinese handicrafts, souvenirs, and local snacks.
You can take a leisurely stroll along the street, watch some street performers, and shop for some souvenirs. You can also try some of the local delicacies such as steamed dumplings and stinky tofu. Hefang Street is easily accessible by bus or taxi.
Book Your Tour Now
Hangzhou is a beautiful city with a lot to offer for tourists. You can explore West Lake, visit tea plantations, discover ancient temples, and experience traditional Chinese culture. You can spend a few days in Hangzhou and still not run out of things to do and see. Remember to bring comfortable shoes as you’ll be doing a lot of walking, and don’t forget to try some of the delicious local food.
Now that you know what to do and see in Hangzhou, it’s time to start planning your trip. Don’t forget to book your accommodation in advance and prepare your travel documents. Have a great trip to Hangzhou!
Table of Contents