San Cristobal De Las Casas is a charming town located in the highlands of Chiapas, Mexico. It’s a destination that has so much to offer, from stunning colonial architecture to local markets filled with traditional crafts and delicacies that showcase the region’s culture. If you’re planning a trip to San Cristobal De Las Casas, then you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to attractions and things to do. In this guide, we’ll take you through some of the best things to do and see around the town that’ll make your trip memorable. From exploring quaint neighborhoods to immersing in the vibrant art scene, there’s something for everyone here. So, get ready to discover the best attractions and things to do in San Cristobal De Las Casas.
The 2 Best Day Trips in San Cristobal De Las Casas
- San Cristobal San Juan Chamula Zinacantan San Cristobal
- San Cristobal Montebello Lakes Chiflon San Cristobal
The 2 Best Day Trips in San Cristobal De Las Casas
1. San Cristobal San Juan Chamula Zinacantan San Cristobal
Learn more about the everyday lives and ancient beliefs of the indigenous Tzotzil Maya people on a day trip from San Cristóbal de las Casas. Travel in air-conditioned comfort to the town of San Juan Chamula to witness the mix of contemporary culture and ancient traditions. The trip continues to Zinacantán, where most of the population are Tzotzil Maya indigenous people. Visit the church and the home of a family co-operative where you can watch the women at work on pre-Columbian waist looms, and buy local looms and indigenous crafts. The tour includes transportation by air-conditioned minivan, Spanish-speaking driver, entrance fees, and a regional drink at the home of the family co-operative. Get invited into their kitchen to taste their traditional handmade tortillas before returning to San Cristóbal de las Casas.
2. San Cristobal Montebello Lakes Chiflon San Cristobal
This full-day tour from San Cristobal de las Casas takes you to the stunning Lagos de Montebello, known as Mexico’s most beautiful lake district. The tour includes a visit to the Chiflón waterfall, a magnificent natural freefall of water surrounded by reeds and palm groves. In the Montebello Lakes nature reserve, you’ll find acres of pines oaks, and rainforest, where on a clear day, you’ll enjoy views of the many lakes and the varying colors of the waters. The tour includes transportation by air-conditioned minivan, entrance fees to the national park, Spanish-speaking driver, food and drinks, as well as hotel pick-up and drop off. Personal expenses are not included. This tour is not suitable for individuals with mobility issues.
Frequently Asked Questions about San Cristobal De Las CasasIf you’re planning a trip to San Cristobal De Las Casas in Mexico, you may have some questions lingering in your mind. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions by tourists about this beautiful city.
1. What is the best time to visit San Cristobal De Las Casas?The best time to visit San Cristobal De Las Casas is from November to February. The weather is cool and dry during this time, which makes it perfect for sightseeing and exploring the city. However, keep in mind that this is peak tourist season, so expect more crowds and higher prices.
2. What are the must-visit tourist attractions in San Cristobal De Las Casas?San Cristobal De Las Casas is famous for its historical landmarks, cultural attractions, and natural beauty. Some of the must-visit tourist attractions in this city include:
- San Cristobal Cathedral
- Na Bolom Cultural Museum
- Sumidero Canyon National Park
- Palenque Archaeological Site
- El Chiflon Waterfalls
- Lagunas de Montebello National Park
3. Is San Cristobal De Las Casas safe for tourists?Yes, San Cristobal De Las Casas is generally safe for tourists. However, like any other city in the world, it’s important to take necessary precautions to avoid any mishaps. For example, be vigilant of your surroundings, avoid carrying too much cash, and don’t leave your belongings unattended in public places.
4. What are the best places to eat in San Cristobal De Las Casas?San Cristobal De Las Casas has a vibrant food scene, offering a variety of options for every taste bud. Some of the best places to eat in this city include:
- El Argentino – serving delicious Argentinian cuisine
- Tacos Don Muchos – known for their authentic Mexican tacos
- La Casa del Pan Papalotl – popular for its organic baked goods
- TierrAdentro Café – a vegetarian’s paradise with tasty vegan options
5. What is the currency used in San Cristobal De Las Casas?The currency used in San Cristobal De Las Casas is the Mexican peso (MXN). Make sure to withdraw or exchange enough pesos before your trip, as some restaurants and shops may not accept credit cards.
6. What are the public transportation options in San Cristobal De Las Casas?San Cristobal De Las Casas has a decent public transportation system, consisting mainly of buses and taxis. The buses are cheap and frequent, but they can often be crowded and uncomfortable. Taxis are more convenient but can be expensive. If you’re looking for a more convenient and comfortable option, consider renting a car for your stay in the city.
7. What is the nightlife like in San Cristobal De Las Casas?San Cristobal De Las Casas has a lively nightlife, with something to offer for everyone. From bars and nightclubs to cultural events and live music shows, there’s never a shortage of entertainment here. Some of the popular nightlife spots in this city include:
- La Ensenadita – serving delicious cocktails and Mexican food
- El Paliacate – a trendy bar with great ambiance
- Patio de Dios – a cultural center hosting live music shows and art exhibitions
- Mandala – a popular nightclub with great DJ music